Google Chrome Retina Patch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trey M, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I'm aware that the Chrome Canary version supports the Retina display, I'm using it right now and it looks just as fantastic as Safari, but I was wondering when the non-dev version of Chrome will receive the Retina update. There's a few plugins, etc. that aren't compatible with the Canary version, and I'm also tired of looking at the ugly-yellow canary logo :0

On an unrelated thought, when do you guys think ML will be released!?

2. GCWB macrumors member

Why don't you just get the Chrome Dev release instead of the Canary Chrome?
    As I understand it, Chrome Dev is about a weekly release, Canary Chrome is VERY experimental and is a daily one.

Chrome Dev has the same icon as Google Chrome original AND has retina support.
    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_dev.html?dl=mac

As for your plugins not being compatible, kind of nothing the macrumors commenters can help you with. You're just being a little impatient.

3. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Thanks wasn't aware that the dev-version was different than Canary. Is it basically just a full version of Chrome with newer updates?

4. GCWB macrumors member

That's right. Little less updates than Canary, Little more updates than Chrome.

5. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Chrome has 4 versions:

Chrome stable
    Chrome beta
    Chrome dev
    Chrome Canary

It gets more updates and experimental features as you move down the list. Right now, Retina support made it to canary and dev builds. It's anyone's guess when it will make it to beta and stable. From my experience, canary is perfectly usable as a daily driver, through it does break every once in a while.

6. GCWB macrumors member

Was using Canary this morning, youtube full screen was completely broken. The video box just stayed the same size and was pushed to the top left corner whilst just white covered the rest.

It's so damn experimental, Dev is definitely the best in terms of stability and risk compromise.
    (in my opinion)

7. bbasra macrumors member

Hi,

Just got my rMBP and looking for Google Chrome with Retina support. Which one shall i download?

Thanks.

8. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Can just about guarantee it will be July 25th, the day after Apple's quarterly earnings report.

9. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

I flip between Safari and Chrome Beta. As far as I can tell, the Beta has been updated for retina. I'm at the 1920 resi, and it looks as good as Safari. It did give me a kernel panic once (just earlier today, in fact) though.

10. moxxey macrumors regular

11. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

12. marddin macrumors 6502

Are kernel panics bad for the computer? I just got my Retina and I'm doing research with chrome. I'd like to test out the beta or canary build but I don't want to harm my new computer.

Thanks.

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

Mac OS X Kernel Panic = Windows Blue Screen of Death

It depends on what caused the KP.

14. marddin macrumors 6502

Yeah I know it's basically a blue screen but I was asking if it was damaging to the computer. You said depends on what caused it, alright well like I said I was planning on installing chrome canary or dev build. So whatever is causing these builds to crash, is it damaging to the machine?

15. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

It could cause disk corruption and loss of data potentially but I don't think it will actually damage any hardware.

16. marddin macrumors 6502

Okay, with that being said I will just wait for the full chrome build with retina support. I'm babying this new retina lol!

17. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

No real sense in doing that. The beta build is actually quite stable. Moreover, although it is an expensive laptop there is nothing inherently "special" about the MBP, they are not limited in production and one should not feel like one has to baby it.

18. marddin macrumors 6502

I'll do what I please with my $3k laptop. Thanks.

19. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

I never said you couldn't or shouldn't do what you please with it. I was merely stating that you aren't going to damage your laptop by using chrome beta. There is no guarantee that any software will not have bugs and I was just trying to say that Chrome Beta is quite stable (probably more so than Firefox) and keep in mind Beta doesn't necessarily mean it is unstable (Gmail was in beta until 2009).

20. coppit macrumors newbie

Kernel Panics

[/COLOR]
    Sigh... And the old one now complains that my profile is too new for it. Caveat "emptor".