Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYSF37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I'm looking for some help regarding sending links from my computer to my phone. I recently jailbroke my phone and am hoping there is some sort of tweak available.

What I'm trying to do is bring up driving directions on my computer (I use Google Chrome) and send those directions to my phone. I've tried a few different methods - for instance, downloading the "Chrome to Mobile" extension in Google Chrome, then sending the link to my phone, opening the link in Chrome, then clicking "Open in the Google Maps app" - and they all work, but I've missed how streamlined "Chrome to Phone" was on my android. All I did was click the Chrome to Phone button on my browser, then I would receive a notification on my phone, tap that, and it would open Google Maps, with the directions ready to go.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this has been asked before. I did a brief search but couldn't find an answer...

lucastatic

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Hmm. I've not dabbled in sending links / maps directions from my PC to my iPhone, however there are two options I might point out:

The Google Maps app for iPhone syncs search history across your Google Account. I just did a search for a random out of state address in Chrome on my PC. Then I went to the Google Maps app on my iPhone, tapped on the search box, and it showed that same address as the most recent search in addition to the rest of my mapping history as well of course.

Additionally the Chrome app in iOS allows you to see tabs open on other devices (like your PC). Opening up Chrome.app, openining a new tab, and pointing it to the same URL via the Other devices panel may or may not work better than the extension you've been using though.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I'm looking for some help regarding sending links from my computer to my phone. I recently jailbroke my phone and am hoping there is some sort of tweak available.

What I'm trying to do is bring up driving directions on my computer (I use Google Chrome) and send those directions to my phone. I've tried a few different methods - for instance, downloading the "Chrome to Mobile" extension in Google Chrome, then sending the link to my phone, opening the link in Chrome, then clicking "Open in the Google Maps app" - and they all work, but I've missed how streamlined "Chrome to Phone" was on my android. All I did was click the Chrome to Phone button on my browser, then I would receive a notification on my phone, tap that, and it would open Google Maps, with the directions ready to go.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this has been asked before. I did a brief search but couldn't find an answer...

I believe you are as direct as possible right now. I do not know of a way to send map links from Google Chrome on the computer straight to the Google Maps app. You might want to try Browser Changer which allows you to open all directions and map links directly in the Google Maps app (and you can set up a 3rd party browser as your default browser). There is another similar tweak called MapsOpener which does the same thing as Browser Changer except it doesn't have the 3rd party browser support like Browser Changer. When I get home I can try this method if you'd like. I use the Chrome to Mobile extension on my computer as well to send tabs to my iPhone. In fact, I also use the Dolphin extension since I'm such a big fan on the Dolphin Browser on iOS.

NYSF37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks to both of you. I guess sending Chrome to Mobile isn't so bad, the main annoyance I have is when I'm asked if I want to download the Google Maps app for iOS... which I already have... so I have to bypass that every time. I'll see what I can work out with the Browser Changer tweak.

In the grand scheme of things, I feel like I've been spoiled by technology lol, what we can actually do with it is still amazing.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks to both of you. I guess sending Chrome to Mobile isn't so bad, the main annoyance I have is when I'm asked if I want to download the Google Maps app for iOS... which I already have... so I have to bypass that every time. I'll see what I can work out with the Browser Changer tweak.

In the grand scheme of things, I feel like I've been spoiled by technology lol, what we can actually do with it is still amazing.

So I messed around with Browser Changer to see if I could get this to work. I tried a bunch of different setups and variations etc, but I could never get the tweak's built in "open links in the google maps app" feature to recognize the maps data before the iPhone Chrome browser recognized it. Basically, what I'm saying is, Chrome will recognize, read, and load the maps prior to the Browser Changer tweak and therefore it never reaches the instructions to load in Google Maps app. I also did the same testing with the Dolphin extension and I had the exact same results. In both cases, the iPhone browser loaded the map and directions. In order to open in Goolge Maps, I had to click on the link at the very top of the page. That's not a bad alternative.

Later on when I have some time I will try using the other tweak, MapsOpener. I really hope that works because I am really liking Safari on iOS 6.1. I am starting to think I would prefer to skip 3rd party browsers for a little while. For some reason, Safari feels a lot more "snappier" and noticeably faster than ever before, at least for me. Maybe it's placebo. Who knows, I might just go back to using Safari full time with the tweak Fullscreen for Safari and keep Chrome and Dolphin as backups. Dolphin is a must have for me because of the built in download feature. That is a very handy feature to have along with iFile. And having Chrome is really nice too because I use Chrome on my computer and I like being able to quickly and easily access open tabs on my iPhone when I'm not home.

Anyways, if you stumble across a direct way to open directions in the Google Maps app by sending the directions from the desktop version of Chrome using the extension please post it. I would love to be able to do this. If you use the built in "link" option on the google maps site, you can email a link to yourself. But even with Browser Changer, when I click on the emailed link the map opens in my browser and not the app. Maybe MapsOpener is better at this function. I haven't tried it yet. To me it looks like Browser Changer only opens directions in the Google Maps app when you access directions via an app store app. Can anyone else shed some light on this? Is MapsOpener a better solution? Heck, if I'm going to use Safari full time then I don't need Browser Changer. Maybe MapsOpener is the better option for people with this setup?

Regardless, like you said, we are pretty spoiled and I can live with the fact I have to click on an additional link haha. It's not that big of a deal. The fact I can access my desktop browser and send links directly to my iPhone is incredible. Good luck!

Edit: So I just tried MapsOpener. I sent an email link of directions using the "email directions" feature of Google Maps on my desktop browser. When I clicked on the email link, it opened the Google Maps app directly whereas Browser Changer opened my default browser instead. However, you still can not use the Chrome extension to send the map directions. When I did this, whether I used the Chrome to Mobile extension or Google Sync, in both cases the link opened in Google Chrome on my iPhone. From there I can stay in Chrome and follow the directions to my destination (which is not safe if driving) or click on the link at the top of the page to open in the Google Maps app. This is a minor issue that I can live with. The only reason I want to use the app instead of the browser is so I can have turn by turn navigation plus it allows me to search for nearby business and restaurants.

Wow what a long and boring post for such a trivial matter. This is why I love jailbreaking though. It's so much fun to try and find the right balance of tweaks and extensions to customize the user interface and user experience to better suit my needs/wants.

Last edited:

NYSF37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Haha, for brevity's sake I won't quote your last post but I do appreciate your curiosity and looking into it. I actually value the length of your post as I can get a bit long winded as well lol. Maybe something will come along in the future, but for now I'll stick with my Chrome to Mobile extension, opening Chrome, then opening the link in Maps... and appreciating technology :) I mean, sometimes flaws are necessary for advancement, you know?

By the way, after reading your post I thought I'd test out the snappiness of Safari, to see if you were on to something. Not sure yet if it is any faster, but during my test run I was reminded of the awesomeness of the reading view, so I'll be sticking with Safari for the time being...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.