Google Chrome Wish List

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edesignuk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know it's not a Mac app yet, but it will be soon, and then this same wish list will apply ;)

What do you want to see?

For me:
    • Ad Blocking (like AdBlock Plus for Firefox)
    • Google Bookmarks integration (seems obvious!)

They're the main big ones for me right now.

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

For Google to fix some of Webkit's inherent rendering atrocities. Case in point go to this link with Safari or any Webkit browser (i.e Shiira, Omniweb) and you'll see what I'm talking about. Now try the same link with a Gecko based browser (i.e Firefox, Camino). :(

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You do realize that the problem with that website isn't Webkit, but poor development? Whoever made that website didn't test it, and they're using code that isn't going to work in all browsers. Not WebKit's fault, nor Apple's or Google's.

jW

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

- Nice smooth simple interface
    - For it not to send all my personal data to Google
    - To be well developed for OS X, and not be a low quality port or hash job.

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I tested it out and found the problem. The title of the article is coded like this:

Code:
    <h1><a href="link to article">Title of article</a>[B]</h2>[/B]
    Right or wrong, Safari is less forgiving of malformed code than Firefox. Not really Safari's fault that the guy coded his title wrong. When you change the closing h2 to an h1 everything works perfectly.

6. fpbecker macrumors member

• A true Mac OS X GUI with the same feature set as the Windows version.
    • An updated version of WebKit. 525.13 (which the Windows version uses) is a bit old.
    • Extensions. Not just AdBlock; StumbleUpon comes to mind as well.
    • A Foxmarks-like bookmark synchronisation system.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

So much for "Webkit's inherent rendering atrocities"

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

8. raythemoneyman macrumors member

raythemoneyman

Google Chrome

I was loving the new Google Chrome Browser on my PC until I went to my Sharebuilder Stock account and found out that it was not supported. :eek:

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Really looking out to google chrome.. I hope the UI stays that good with all the features..

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mostly the kinds of things mentioned above -- a real Mac interface, and some kind of AdBlock is de rigeur -- at the absolute minimum, it should support a custom CSS so that FloppyMoose can be used as an interim solution. I don't care as much about the Google Toolbar or Google Bookmark Syncing kind of stuff (in fact, I'd request that there be the ability to turn most of that stuff off).

The other thing is that whatever compartmentalization / bulkhead / independent process model they use to achieve their stated goal of eliminating the spreading effect of one tab that's dragging b/c of Flash or video from affecting all the other tabs do so in a way that doesn't mean my web browser is suddenly using a gigabyte or two of memory....

11. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

Chrome

I'm betting the interface will be the same across all platforms... it seems like Google is trying its best to build a platform for all of its services that works the same across everything.

I downloaded Chrome on my PC at work this morning and was very impressed! It seems really lightweight and definitely fast. I have no complaints at all against Firefox on the Mac or PC, but if the Mac version is as impressive as the PC one, I'd be tempted to switch.

I couldn't tell from what I've read so far, but will people be able to design extensions and add-ons for it, as they have with Firefox? As long as that is available, there will be plenty of people to fill all the little niches anyone could want!

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Not gonna happen. This filters out Adwords/Adsense.

13. Salmar macrumors regular

Chrome Browser problem already

Google Chrome Download Vulnerability

Original release date: September 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm
    Last revised: September 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm

US-CERT is aware of a vulnerability that affects the Google Chrome web
    browser. This vulnerability is due to a default configuration that
    allows files to be downloaded without prompting the user. In addition,
    downloaded files can be opened with a single click, which could allow
    a user to inadvertently open a malicious file.

US-CERT encourages users to enable the "Ask where to save each file
    before downloading" option within the "Minor Tweaks" tab in the
    browser preferences. Although this does not fix the underlying
    vulnerability, selecting this option will warn the user before files
    are downloaded. Users should still exercise caution when visiting and
    downloading items from untrusted websites.

US-CERT will provide additional information as it becomes available.
    ====
    This entry is available at
    http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html#google_chrome_vulnerability

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I agree with the less forgiving part--and that is really a good thing and makes it a good choice for web developers. I found a problem with the color rendering in the headers of one of my sites and I probably would have avoided it if I had been using Safari at the time--it looks fine in Firefox.

15. Fabiano macrumors regular

I hope it to have the same behavior as Safari when I click on the green maximize button. I love the way Safari auto adjust the size of the window to match the page size. And I hate the way Firefox maximize all over the Desktop. That is a waste of space.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i cant imagine osx version would be much different from windows version.

so you guys have the answer right now. some wishes are just not realistic considering what google is targetting.

17. portent macrumors 6502a

In that case, I can't imagine Google will see much success with their Mac port.

If they don't plan to target the Mac user base, they'd be better off deploying their resources elsewhere.

18. dantherevelator macrumors regular

19. acxz macrumors regular

Adblocking is highly unlikely seeing as Google makes most of its revenue from advertising. In fact, adblocking might be one of the reasons why Google has stepped away from Firefox.

I don't think we can expect too much from Chrome. All of Google's apps are very no-frills so I expect we'll see enough features for the casual user and not much else. Being open-source means we should see some third-party development for it of course, but I don't think there'll be much in the way of official features that we haven't already seen. It'll be like the base that Firefox used to be pre-FF2, except with no official support for expansion through add-ons.

20. fpbecker macrumors member

I have faith in Google getting the OS X version of Chrome right. Why? Mike Pinkerton, one of the founders of the Mozilla Camino project, is also part of the Chrome project.

Source: Ars Technica

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

According to what was said at the press conference yesterday, Google has plans to add an extension API, but as of this moment in time Chrome does not have an extension system. So, until the API is available no one can write extensions such as AdBlock, etc. Chrome does support the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI), but doesn't support Active-X controls.

But then it is a Beta, e.g. "a work in progress". A couple of years from now we'll all be able to make more meaningful observations about Chrome form, functions, usefulness, etc.

Platforms and Priorities: "In order to make sure Chromium feels right, each platform's version is being built by people who live and breathe that platform; the engineers working on these versions are long-time Mac and Linux engineers who are just as picky about the details as anyone. It's also not just the engineers; Macs and Linux machines are very popular at Google at all levels, so progress is already being followed avidly across all levels of the company."

22. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I'll just be happy to have Chrome for the mac that's not crippled some way compared to windows - that's all. Google talks a good game about supporting non-MSFT platforms, but they really drag their feet. I understand it, considering that 95% or so of world's home computers run Windows, but still a hassle when you're on the mac. Take support for Safari - whether it's Gmail, or the google toolbar or picasa or any number of google lab apps and thingamabobs... well, mac is a second class citizen - either it's not available at all, or features are missing.

So when I heard about Chrome - I immediately said to myself "I bet support for OS X is coming later" - riiiiiiiiight... and that's exactly what happened.

And waiting for the actual support for the mac, my experience is similar to the one you get when someone says to you "the check is in the mail"... riiiiiiiight.

Let's face it - as long as mac's world-wide market share is something like 2.9%, this is how it is ALWAYS gonna be. Even if they get it up to 10%, I'm afraid many, many, many companies and developers will just say to themselves, "I'd rather develop for the 90% market, even if I let the 10% mac market go". Sad but true.

So, that's why I say my dream-features for Chrome would be that there be a non-crippled Chrome for mac - PERIOD. That will be enough to make me happy - ecstatic even. My fear and expectation is - "the check is in the mail"

23. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All I want to see in Google Chrome is non-existence, and in its place, Opera.

24. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

ZOOM!!!!!
    Thats all I want, Zoom as in Safari and camino. then im sold. Im actually using XP to use chrome now (testing it out)

25. jbucaran macrumors newbie

jbucaran