Google Chrome!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrangeInc, Sep 14, 2016.

1. OrangeInc macrumors member

So I started to wonder why my laptop fans always spin like jet engines and have the heat output of phoenix Arizona in the summer and always noticed in activity monitor that chrome has like 20 processes running like one chrome helper for every chrome activity etc and it's just eating up my cpu usage. One chrome process would be like 120% cpu with the other tabs like 30, 20 etc. The fact that I have like 5-10 tabs open doesn't help either so I did some reading on the internet and stopped using chrome and started using safari yesterday and....wow. 8 tabs open and my fans are quiet, my macbook is not ready to melt and my heaviest cpu task right now with only 8 tabs in safari open is....activity monitor lol. What I'm trying to say is chrome is extremely CPU intensive.

PS: I think it can go beyond 100% cpu because of the hyper threading/virtual cores.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Each core is 100% so is each thread in hyperthreading, so a dual core can reach 400% under the right conditions.

Yes chrome is a poorly coded behemoth of a resource hog and should be used on macs only when you have no other choice.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Chrome is probably the most bloated browser on both macOS and Windows.