Google Chrome?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by definitive, Apr 6, 2010.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

At the moment I'm using FireFox 3.6, but have tried Google Chrome beta. The thing that I like about FireFox is that I can set it to clear cookies/history/etc. on exit. I've tried to do the same thing in Chrome, but ran into a problem - It appears that Chrome stores its add-on settings in history/cache somewhere, so each time I exit, some of the add-ons lose their settings, and I have to reconfigure them when I open the application.

Is there any way around this?

2. Arrandale macrumors regular

This may not be exactly the solution you are looking for, but Chrome for the mac has a feature called "incognito". You can open a new incognito window from the file menu or by pressing cmd-shift-n.

No activity in the incognito window is remembered. Pages viewed are not added to history or cached. Passwords, form data etc.. are not filled. Similar to "private browsing" feature of Safari. Perfect for when you need to, you know, do some private stuff.

3. rk1991 macrumors regular

I am pretty sure that is not what he is asking about because Firefox also has incognito but it calls it private browsing. But firefox also has a separate feature under preferences where when you exit it deletes all cache and history that the op is talking about.

4. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

yeah, i wasn't talking about privacy browsing. i was talking about chrome storing its addon settings in cache/history. i'm trying to find out if there's a way to store these settings some other way, because i usually clear all browsing cache on exit (at least in firefox).

5. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

If you go into the preferences and then the 'under the hood' tab, you will see a 'content settings' button. Under the 'cookies' tab, there is a setting called 'clear cookies and other site data when I close my browser'.

I don't use that myself, but it sounds more or less like what you're looking for.