Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which devices are you more likely to buy?

• Apple TV

Votes: 46 46.0%
  • Google Chromecast

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Other Streaming Device

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • None (I already own one and won't change or I don't need any)

Votes: 15 15.0%

• Total voters

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I have not noticed a thread on this yet, but what are everyone's thoughts about the new Google Chromecast. I normally stick with just Apple products, but for only 35 dollars and 3 months of free Netflix, Google's new product sounds great.

Let's see what Apple's 4th generation Apple TV has to offer.

Click here to learn more about the Google Chromecast.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
if it could mirror anything that is on your device screen...I'd buy 5 of them.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well the few downsides to chromecast. It does not offer mirroring, cannot use cast tab on an android device, and needs more app support (obviously new). I ordered 2 b.c I am hoping the app support is fast and it's only $35. It is still far from Apple TV though.

Another pro, and the biggest, it Is cross platform. At the very least it will encourage people to buy movies or rent through the play store. The device is very mobile and easy to take to a friends house to stream your movies.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Well the few downsides to chromecast. It does not offer mirroring, cannot use cast tab on an android device, and needs more app support (obviously new). I ordered 2 b.c I am hoping the app support is fast and it's only $35. It is still far from Apple TV though.

Another pro, and the biggest, it Is cross platform. At the very least it will encourage people to buy movies or rent through the play store. The device is very mobile and easy to take to a friends house to stream your movies.

I am hoping developers support it quickly. I really like it for ability to play Youtube and Netflix easily. Hopefully tablet mirroring/casting comes soon.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am hoping developers support it quickly. I really like it for ability to play Youtube and Netflix easily. Hopefully tablet mirroring/casting comes soon.

It seems like it will be easy to add app support. The thing is, what TV doesn't come with YouTube and Netflix built in? It's on my appletv, Panasonic, and Samsung. I really am excited for the harder to get apps. Hbo go, show time, Cinemax, amazon instant video. It will be great when there are a lot of apps and the cross platform aspect.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
It seems like it will be easy to add app support. The thing is, what TV doesn't come with YouTube and Netflix built in? It's on my appletv, Panasonic, and Samsung. I really am excited for the harder to get apps. Hbo go, show time, Cinemax, amazon instant video. It will be great when there are a lot of apps and the cross platform aspect.

My TV does not have Youtube or Netflix, so for me this will be a nice addition. I also hope some iOS apps add support.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There are already too many ways to get content into a monitor aka your HDTV.

Whether you want a Chromecast or AppleTV or other will probably end up being determined by where you get your movies, music or TV. They're all there to promote the sale of content, although there's overlap (Netflix on everything from TiVo to Android to iOS to web to toasters, e.g.).

Chromecast is for those who get stuff from Google Play or Netflix, although Hulu+ is apparently on the way. I expect just about everyone who has stuff in the cloud will eventually participate. On the other hand if you own tons of media that you bought from Apple the AppleTV might still make sense.

If you've got TiVo or Directv or Dish, or maybe XBox or Playstation, you probably don't care since you get all that already. And this group includes a lotta people.

They're probably gonna get mirroring going, which is where Airplay has an edge, at least for those who haven't figured out Air Server as an alternative to an AppleTV.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've bought both an ATV2 and an ATV3. I ordered the Chromecast as soon as it was available.

They're not interchangeable products. The AppleTV is obviously going to be better at some things. The Chromecast is $35 and gives saves me $24 over the next 3 months on Netflix. It's an $11 gadget if you factor that in. Why not give it a try?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My TV in my room isn't even plugged in, hasn't been for over two years now. :rolleyes:

We use our Wii for Netflix. And we watch TV on our TV. Otherwise we have no desire to use our TV for anything else but TV and video games in this household.

The Apple TV has more perks at this point. You can play Tennis on the screen, and use the iPhone as a "Wii remote".

Androids already have lagging and latency issues, add that along with wifi latency, and it's double the issues. So I'm very skeptical at this point.

But I would love to get one to use my TV as a monitor, and then play games on it with a bluetooth gamepad and have the phone out of view. I still have my S2, and it would be a nice extra life for it now that it's useless as a camera.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I choose other ...... Cause I can Netflix, Youtube and stream media from PC with Xbox 360. No need for me to get anything that does basically the same. That's for my Living room.

In my bedroom, I just HDMI my PC to the TV.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Androids already have lagging and latency issues, add that along with wifi latency, and it's double the issues. So I'm very skeptical at this point.

I keep seeing this complaint being made. Have you used any of the newer Android devices? I can tell you that the amount of lag on my HTC One is essentially non existent. I had more noticeable lag on my iPhone 4S, and I've occasionally noticed lag on my wifes iPhone 5.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have Apple TVs already but also ordered a Chromecast, for the simple reason the it costs next to nothing. If all you're looking to do is stream, the Chromecast should be fine. We use our Apple TVs primarily to play content from our existing library (I have young kids who don't seem to get tired of watching their movies over, and over, and over...) as well as Netflix, NHL, and some AirPlay of Amazon Instant Video and of photos/video taken with our phones. Kids also love mirroring games they're playing on their iPad.

I also have a Roku so if the Chromecast is replacing anything in our house, it's that as it's primarily used for channels not on the Apple TV.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I keep seeing this complaint being made. Have you used any of the newer Android devices? I can tell you that the amount of lag on my HTC One is essentially non existent. I had more noticeable lag on my iPhone 4S, and I've occasionally noticed lag on my wifes iPhone 5.

This is what I'm referring to:

Subscriptions may be required to use with certain content providers. Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac® and Chrome for Windows®; and Chromebook Pixel. Power cord required (not shown).

I know that the lag issue isn't much of a problem on newer devices, But it's still an issue that will probably make this device get a mix reaction once it gets into enough people's hands. Especially since a majority probably have 512MB RAM devices. Easy enough to do Netflix, but might be an issue to both stream and have it play on the device at the same time depending on how it works.

I have devices running Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, AND Jelly Bean. I really don't know HOW you could just force something like that to work with just an app update when on iOS it's a firmware thing. :confused:

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I wonder if it will allow content restriction like some of the Youtube videos have (so you can't watch them on your tv)? That's the one thing I like about mirroring my MBA to the Apple TV. It mirrors the whole desktop so there are no content restrictions. The ability to multitask sounds cool but I wonder how well that will work. It's also not clear to me how much of this functionality will be supported on iOS devices?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
For the last two years I've enjoyed exemplary experiences with Google Products, Nexus Smartphones and Tablets that have exceeded my every expectation.

For two decades I was very Pro-Apple, yet their practices over the last year have dampened my enthusiasm. So far in 2013 only Google has provided the excitement I enjoy as a serious multi-platform tech enthusiast. Therefore I'm going all in with the upcoming N7, Chromecast, and most likely a Nexus 5 to replace my N4.

On the Apple side I'm retreating to a wait and see position. I plan on continuing to use my iPhone 5 in its existing capacity as my secondary smartphone. I'll leave it on iOS 6.1.x since its stable, does the basics, and is much more attractive to look at as compared to the look of iOS 7 I've seen so far.

With some luck maybe by the time Apple has iPhone 6 or 6S ready, it will have a modern size display like my Androids, and a well debugged OS. If so, that will be the next iPhone I will buy.

Thanks to Google, waiting for Apple to catch up will be easy. I will have lots of new Android & Google products to buy and enjoy.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I know that the lag issue isn't much of a problem on newer devices, But it's still an issue that will probably make this device get a mix reaction once it gets into enough people's hands. Especially since a majority probably have 512MB RAM devices. Easy enough to do Netflix, but might be an issue to both stream and have it play on the device at the same time depending on how it works.

I have devices running Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, AND Jelly Bean. I really don't know HOW you could just force something like that to work with just an app update when on iOS it's a firmware thing. :confused:

You may be right, but I don't think that is how this device will work. I guess I'll see when it shows up.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
This is what I'm referring to:

Amount of RAM isn't the main determining factor in latency. High Frequency/low timing of the RAM is.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I already own an Apple TV, and it integrates nicely with my iPad, and Mac. otherwise the ChromeCast is as steal at $35!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Chromecast only functions by sending content from a mobile device to your TV, or selected content from your chrome browser. It doesn't function as a standalone device for delivering content itself without a mobile device.

Neither will it function like an AppleTV to utilise a TV as monitor for mirroring currenty, or as an extra screenin 10.9

I don't think the two are the same, both are great however, I use my AppleTV daily but would at times like a way of sending content usually photos, quicker from an android device to my TV, that's where chromecast comes in.

If anything what Chromecast just killed is the expensive dongles fom HTC and Samsung for sending just their own device content to a TV.

It undercuts their pricing significantly. It won't affect AppleTV, and it won't replace Airplay on iOS & Mac devices.

Last edited:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
For the price, it's kind of a no brainer. It's worth buying just to check out. I have an Apple TV already but I'm still going to get a chromecast just to check it out. Much to my own dismay I do use 3 different ecosystems (iOS, Android, Windows) so it can't hurt.

I find the Apple TV to be pretty nice for it's price too though. If I am watching TV, chances are it's via Apple TV. I was just considering buying a second one for the bedroom, but maybe I'll see if the chromecast does the trick.

I'd like to know how easily we could stream movies/tv shows purchased in iTunes to an chromecast.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Well, the wait time to get this little bugger is now out to 4 weeks! Glad I bought mine this morning. I have some very specific uses for it.

And for those comparing this to Apple TV or Roku, there is no comparison. Chrome cast doesn't need to be on the same WiFi network to receive the information from phone, tablet or PC. This is ultra portability for work or play.
Going on vacation and want to watch your Netflix shows or surf the web in the hotel room on a nice big TV screen. Not a problem with Chrome cast. Big problem with ATV or Roku.
I have no doubt the SDK for this will be popular and mirror-cast will come along in short order, so you can project any video file or picture or PowerPoint presentation on to a large HDTV. And I love the fact that this is a collaborative effort for both IOS and Android devs to work towards the betterment of a single piece of hardware.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
For the price, it's kind of a no brainer. It's worth buying just to check out. I have an Apple TV already but I'm still going to get a chromecast just to check it out. Much to my own dismay I do use 3 different ecosystems (iOS, Android, Windows) so it can't hurt.

I find the Apple TV to be pretty nice for it's price too though. If I am watching TV, chances are it's via Apple TV. I was just considering buying a second one for the bedroom, but maybe I'll see if the chromecast does the trick.

I'd like to know how easily we could stream movies/tv shows purchased in iTunes to an chromecast.

The Apple TV is nice and I hope it gets a nice update in the fall. Google's three months free Netflix really makes the Chromecast a no-brainer.

Well, the wait time to get this little bugger is now out to 4 weeks! Glad I bought mine this morning. I have some very specific uses for it.

And for those comparing this to Apple TV or Roku, there is no comparison. Chrome cast doesn't need to be on the same WiFi network to receive the information from phone, tablet or PC. This is ultra portability for work or play.
Going on vacation and want to watch your Netflix shows or surf the web in the hotel room on a nice big TV screen. Not a problem with Chrome cast. Big problem with ATV or Roku.
I have no doubt the SDK for this will be popular and mirror-cast will come along in short order, so you can project any video file or picture or PowerPoint presentation on to a large HDTV. And I love the fact that this is a collaborative effort for both IOS and Android devs to work towards the betterment of a single piece of hardware.

The weird thing is that Best Buy still has it in stock.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
What's all this stuff about lag ? it's not streaming from your android handset or tablet to the TV. It sends a link or address to chromecast and it (chromecast) fetches the content from the internet. All your handset does after that is act as a remote.

But I would love to get one to use my TV as a monitor, and then play games on it with a bluetooth gamepad and have the phone out of view. I still have my S2, and it would be a nice extra life for it now that it's useless as a camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.