Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced today that it has released an unredacted copy (PDF) of its response to an investigation by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission into Apple's apparent rejection of the company's Google Voice iPhone application. Most significantly, Google's filing claims that Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller personally informed Google that the Google Voice iPhone application had been rejected for the reason that it "duplicated the core dialer functionality of the iPhone".
The primary points of contact between the two companies were Alan Eustace, Google Senior Vice President of Engineering & Research, and Phil Schiller, Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing. On July 7, Mr. Eustace and Mr. Schiller spoke over the phone. It was during this call that Mr. Schiller informed Mr. Eustace that Apple was rejecting the Google Voice application for the reasons described above in 2(a).
The claim directly contradicts Apple's response to the FCC, which asserted that the Google Voice application had not been rejected and was still being studied. It is unknown at this time how the FCC is proceeding to reconcile the differing accounts.

The FCC had initially posted a redacted version of Google response at the request of Google, which had made the request in order to protect "sensitive commercial communications". After several requests from individuals and organization made under the Freedom of Information Act regarding the redacted content and in light of Apple's public posting of an unredacted version of its response, Google decided to allow the full text of its response to be published.

Article Link: Google Claims That Apple Did Reject Google Voice iPhone Application

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Pathetic... I'm not surprised either.

Really? Duplicating of features...? Really? Come on now.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i've read that Apple also didn't like the fact that Google wanted to upload all the contacts from your phone into their systems for marketing purposes

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
This is just hype to promote the Android phones in the fall. No more, no less. I wouldn't be surprised of Google expected a rejection to exploit it like this.

Imho, it doesn't matter in this instance if it's PR or not. This simply bad for consumers.

Rejection b/c of duplication of features. Please, give me a break.

Does calculator apps ring any bells? How about the Vonage app? How about all those VOIP apps?

It's pathetic.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Apple has gone so far off course I don't think they even realise it, or if they do, that's even worse... I can't even watch the 1984 ad any more, it's so far removed from the Apple of today.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I cared about a month ago.

I'm glad the FTC has a longer attention span than you do. Hopefully this will force Apple to open up a bit by the time this is all over. And hopefully it will be with minimum kicking and screaming from Apple. Avoid the spectacle and open up already.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Engadget does a really good job at explaining it in terms we can all understand.
Phil Schiller himself told Google that GV had been rejected on July 7 for duplication of functionality, following a similar conversation on April 10th during which Schiller rejected Google Latitude in part because it might "offer new features not present on the preloaded maps application."

Which, of course, begs the question: If you can't create a program that duplicates functionality, and you can't create a program that offers a new feature, what programs can you create?

[bold mine]

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple has gone so far off course I don't think they even realise it, or if they do, that's even worse... I can't even watch the 1984 ad any more, it's so far removed from the Apple of today.

Apple delivering products people want, consistently, when no one else seems to be doing it. Apple is being proactive. Thing is, when you want to maintain the user experience, you need to keep things tight, integrated, and controlled. Same Apple we saw in 1984, just on a larger scale.

The average user hardly noticed Google Voice when it was an issue, and cares even less today. But they certainly notice the greater benefits of buying in to the Apple ecosystem, as we're seeing.

Small price to pay, really.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't see much new here...I mean, I guess some of this is now 'confirmed' instead of 'speculation,' but I think it's all stuff everyone assumed was true, right?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple delivering products people want, consistently, when no one else seems to be doing it. Apple is being proactive. Thing is, when you want to maintain the user experience, you need to keep things tight, integrated, and controlled. Same Apple we saw in 1984, just on a larger scale.

The average user hardly noticed Google Voice when it was an issue, and cares even less today. But they certainly notice the greater benefits of buying in to the Apple ecosystem.

Agree.

However I also think something that like should be just left alone. It's not like GV removes the Phone app and inserts itself in its place.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002

The average user hardly noticed Google Voice when it was an issue, and cares even less today. But they certainly notice the greater benefits of buying in to the Apple ecosystem.

Wonderful short term thinking there.

In terms of the LONG term though? Not so good, and not so hot.

If app developers aren't confident in building great apps for the iPhone platform (which, imho is a great platform), then how is this good for consumers in the long run? Don't you want something beyond fart apps and games?

I do.

w00master

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Not at all. Apple was all about developers back in the day, they would bend over backward for those making software. Apple was all about fighting the man back in the day, now Apple is more of the man than Microsoft (in many ways).

Really? So because the lowest common denominator has no use for Google Voice then everyone should just sit down and shut up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.