Google "Code Search" debuts

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Google Labs has introduced Google Code Search, which lets programmers look for source code on the web.

It allows searching with regular expressions (including POSIX extensions) and limiting results by package name or programming language. The advanced search page lets you specify case sensitivity. Their crawler even does its best to identify what license applies to the code.

It works, but is described as "still in the early stages of development".

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
iGary said:
Hasn't worked with Google Books...
Baaaa oooooo kkkkkkss?

I don't know what this word means.

:D

But seriously, they're all previews, not what I would expect from the code search.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
yellow said:
Code Search?

I see intellectual property battles on the horizon.
Thus the

Q said:
Their crawler even does its best to identify what license applies to the code.
At least Google's attempting to cover its a**. I'm assuming it will do a pretty good job of COA too, as it has avoided major litigation against the image search (I'm aware that there were problems with it, but the image search function is still up.)

iGary, I knew that Google had purchased the rights to SketchUp, and I even had it for a little while, but realized that I didn't need it for anything. I made a couple of crude renderings off of some floor plans I've worked on.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
jdechko said:
Ah.. but my assumption was that someone would not license the code, and somehow it would make it's way onto the 'net, get spidered, and end up as part of the code search. Sweet, sweet, litigation ensues.

Litigant choice 1:

I never published that code for the web!

Litigant choice 2:

I thought that forum was private!

Litigant choice 3:

It was an accident.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iGary, I knew that Google had purchased the rights to SketchUp, and I even had it for a little while, but realized that I didn't need it for anything. I made a couple of crude renderings off of some floor plans I've worked on.
I would love to use it for virtual tours, but I don't think you can make money with it - I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure it's a no-no.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
iGary said:
I would love to use it for virtual tours, but I don't think you can make money with it - I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure it's a no-no.
It is.

So what's the difference between Google SketchUp (free) and SketchUp Pro 5? Lots, actually:

- Pro users are able to print and export raster images at higher-than-screen resolution.

- Pro users have access to the following 3D export formats: DWG, DXF, 3DS, OBJ, XSI, VRML and FBX.

- Pro users are able to export animations and walkthroughs as MOV (Mac) or AVI (Windows) files.

- Pro users get the Sandbox Tools (for organic modeling of terrain, etc) and the Film & Stage Tools (for pre-viz work).

- Pro users have access to free email tech support for two years after they buy SketchUp Pro.

- Finally, only SketchUp Pro is approved for commercial use; the Free version is licensed for personal use only.
But the ability to export walkthroughs to .mov is a definite plus in the pro version.