Google contact sync?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jackosx, Oct 1, 2012.

1. jackosx macrumors member

I am having a little trouble getting my iPhone 5 to sync with Googles contacts server, I tried following this guide on googles site, but it looks quite old..

Has anything changed, do I still need to make an exchange profile to get the Google contacts to sync?

Many thanks!

----------

this guide: http://support.google.com/a/users/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

2. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

the guide is accurate. you have to setup an Exchange connection instead of Gmail. try again.

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

4. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I set up my Google/Gmail account on my iPad using the Exchange option. But in both contacts and calendars in the Gmail section, contact groups and sub-calendars are not displayed, just the main collection identified by the account email address. The synchronization of data seems to work though, and I have do to some more testing to see where new or editing contact or calendar entries end up depending on whether I do the editing on the iPad or the Google site.

iCloud of course mirrors the contact group structure and different calendars, even in Outlook when syncing with my PC via the iCloud control panel.

Is this normal for a Gmail account on an iOS device using the Exchange method, or is something haywire?

5. SonRK macrumors 6502

I didn't know I already had contacts on my iCloud. So strange...

so when I setup my exchange it combined a lot of my old and new contacts which synced to the Google server. Good, but it was bad in my situation and now i have a bunch of older numbers and I have to sift through which ones still work and not.

6. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Go to gmail and manage your old contact there so much easier to clean it up... Took me about 30 seconds and it was cleaned up.