Google Disabling Third Party Access to Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afin, Oct 31, 2013.

1. afin macrumors member

afin

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

Hmm, unfortunate. Stealing a page from apples play book. Recent numbers show android has over 80% market share in the u.s., and it's probably higher elsewhere, so it wouldn't surprise me to see google do less and less for apple users. Like killing exchange support :(

3. fortheus macrumors regular

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

5. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

They are shooting themselves in the foot. I've already decreased my usage of gmail because of the no exchange support unless we pay up. I plan to discontinue gmail as soon as I've migraited everything to other services. I will also be disconituing my GV account.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

googlevoice is great for free texting and calls but I am not happy with this news

7. cnotes2019 Suspended

This is just for apps but not google voice as a whole correct ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

This isn't that big of a deal, just use the official Hangouts app now which supports voice calls

9. cnotes2019 Suspended

It's a big deal because talkatone is a much better app than any other. I hope they change their mind in the next 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. OhHaiThere macrumors regular

OhHaiThere

That's right, most people who need Exchange are business users. This is something that Google had to pay premiums to Microsoft for, to have the "privilage" of being able to connect to Exchange.

They wanted to get from under Microsofts proprietary ($$) umbrella and embrace open standards. Talking about which, did you read about the lawsuit filed in Texas yesterday against Google?

There are ways around XMPP (assuming you were even using it), but that's fine, you should discontinue using GV.

11. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

What I don't understand is why Google chooses not to provide push email when Outlook and Yahoo! provide this at no additional charge?

I did read about the **** storm that Google and manufacturers that use Android OS on their devices will be facing.

12. brendu macrumors 68020

I have been more and more turned off by Google's business practices lately so I have been migrating away from their services. The only two I use anymore are gmail and google search. I am moving to iCloud mail but still have so many people sending to my gmail that cant go away anytime soon and until Bing, and Yahoo stop sucking I will continue to use google search.

Since I am all in with Apple I see no use for google services other than search anymore.

13. Oui macrumors 6502

14. TJH133 macrumors member

read it again. They are disabling unauthorized access to voice. Big difference. Chances are they are not using an open API to get GV information.

They have known it for a while and have chosen not to close it down. Unlike Apple they did not just turn around and break the unauthorized access but gave them time to become authorized and access it threw proper channels.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Has nothing to do with "connecting to Exchange" or "privilege". Gmail is not Exchange. Google just offered connectivity via EAS. To use EAS they have to pay the licensing fee.

Yes. As with any other topic "I do not use" != "no one uses".

16. TJH133 macrumors member

It is my voice mail and that iall i use it for.

17. afin thread starter macrumors member

afin

I do... I recently cancelled my Verizon calling/sms and have been using Google Voice through several third party apps such as GrooveIP, Talkatone, and an Obi device. It was a really nice setup considering that google had been neglecting their Voice app and hangouts previously offered absolutely no Voice integration. Despite the recent updates to the hangouts app, it is still not quite the application that I need.

Would rather not have to start paying for a VOIP service. Not to mention trying to keep the same number...

18. phositadc macrumors 6502

Lol at people getting mad at google. I'm not happy about this either, but since when has apple ever allowed any of its stuff on android? No iTunes, no iMessage, etc. at least google puts out some of its apps for iOS. I don't think we can blame them for supporting it less over time, especially as android market share grows.

19. afin thread starter macrumors member

afin

No. I read that part of the post the first time. Many of these "unauthorized" apps are using a currently open API (XMPP). I'm not willing to make the assumption that google will be gracious enough to license third party apps to use Voice when May comes around and they close the API.

20. TJH133 macrumors member

Well could be because there is not an correct API to be used right now and unlike Apple Google does not cheat on its own OS for Google Apps. They follow the same rules.

I bet voice is going to have an update that adds in an open API to be used correctly.

21. OhHaiThere macrumors regular

OhHaiThere

Which **** storm is that?

There you go, took the words right out of my mouth :p:D