Google Docs Sync? Google Notebook? Syncing notes with anything Google?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lokerd, Jul 9, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Ok, I am at wits end here.

I opened Google Notebook yesterday to learn that it has been terminated by Google...no new signups...ok...sounds like the end is near for everybody even if they say it is still available. I have TONS of notes typed in on a couple of Google Notebooks. Anything I have entered on a piece of paper for years has been typed into Google Notebook. Ok, but no big deal. I just exported to Google Docs...and that will be fine as one long single document...never really liked how awkward Notebook was anyway.

So, I spent most of yesterday day typing in the past year or so of notes that have been piling up.

Get to my iPad, expecting to be able to access my Google Docs...knowing that Spreadsheets were iffy...but thinking that word docs were compatible.

EVERY PROGRAM I tried either didn't allow real time editing or even if they did, when I attempted to save, it came back with an error saying it could sync with the online server file.

And, as it turns out, I really can't edit the Notebook in a webpage anyway. I am able to view, expand, delete note entries, but not add to them.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON??? I have dabbled with other programs, like EverNote, etc., but I was REALLY hoping to keep EVERYTHING in a Google environment to keep continuity between the iPad 7+ desktop and laptop machines that I use on a regular basis, especially at school (work) where I have my primary desk computer...and a presentation computer.

Thanks for any feedback!!

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

You could give DocumentsToGo Premium a shot. I believe it'll pull documents from GoogleDocs with the option to store favorites locally. I believe it can also sync back to GoogleDocs if need be.

3. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I did try it. It was awkward...and when I got ready to save it back to online, it wouldn't. Argh!!!

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    What would happen if you work on a doc and are about to sync it back but it's been updated by someone else since then. What would happen?

5. h00ligan, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

h00ligan macrumors 68030

Have you tried evernote?

sorry, missed that you have... unfortunately no one note for ipad yet.

6. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

If you are on a Windows machine or machines, you could give OneNote on iPhone a try. It syncs through Live Mesh which is Microsoft's equivalent of Dropbox. I haven't given it a try, so I can't honestly recommend it, but the iOS program and Live Mesh is free to try so it couldn't hurt..

--K

7. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Is there a BEST browser to access Google Docs?

Thanks, I will give it a try.

I just don't understand why Google Docs doesn't work better.

I am so frustrated with the compatibility of Google with iOS. It seems like the ONE thing that keeps the iPad/phone from being the ULTIMATE portable computer. I go through devices through out the day with quite a bit of change over as my location and resources at each location change.

Storing and working on documents in the cloud is SO appealing...but SO unrealistic with the iPad. Like today, I have been trying to make this Google Docs Spreadsheet work for me on my iPad...and it is SOOOOO frustrating that I want to chunk the iPad as far as I can throw it!! Ok, maybe not really, but it is pretty frustrating.

I am currently using iCab. Is this the best browser to use when it comes to working on GoogDocs on the net?

There has GOT to be a better solution. If not now, is there hope in the near future?

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I prefer atomic to icab.. but it's probably swings and roundabouts.

9. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

But does googledocs work any better with Atomic, or any other browser?

I don't under stand why Googles own app does work better.

10. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Google Notebook????

I realize GNB development was stopped, but why doesn't it work with the iPad?

This is still so frustrating...and enough to want to switch to a non-Apple device. The problem is that I have 6 Apple iOS devices between my wife and I.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Why do you insist on using anything Google? Dropbox works flawlessly on the ipad. And for what I use MobileMe for, it does too. Have you ever read the TOS for any Google service ?

12. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Ok, tell me more. I am all eyes! I love DropBox, but how do I use it like you are suggesting in place of Google Notebook? I do have it installed on my google start pages. But what else do I need to do???? Please help...I am desperate!

Also, what do you mean about the TOS? Can you give me the 10 sec version?

Thanks!

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I am not sure what you are using notes for, (I have several of the free ones, but I never remember to go back to my notes, so I don't use them), but this one is supposed to be a good one ($2.99). I might try it out. It should also says that it can send directly to DropBox.

iCloud, when it becomes available, should also make things simpler.

TOS is the Terms of Service (what you agree to when you use a service).

http://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?hl=en

11.2 is the one to be concerned about.