Google Drive and Dropbox differences

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kurzz, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I've been playing around with Google Drive today and noticed that Google seems to handle file changes differently from Dropbox.

I use Apple disk images a lot and with Dropbox, only small changes to the disk image gets uploaded. Whereas, with Google, the entire disk image gets re-uploaded again. Is anyone else noticing this? I don't know if this is actually what it is doing but it sure is taking a long time to upload a 1 byte test change to a text file within the disk image. (I've unmounted it).

If this is true, this might be something to consider for those who are thinking of using Google's product.

I haven't yet tested how it handles Apple's bundle packages like iPhoto.

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Thank you for the observation. Don't have Google Drive yet - terms of use are a bit scary. But if they fix that I will know what to look for when I test it.

3. kurzz thread starter macrumors 6502

kurzz

I justed wanted to follow-up and here's what I've noticed:

- Google re-uploads the entire file, instead of changes within the file (this makes a difference when dealing with zip, dmg, or other containers.

- Google keeps copies or versions of every file modified (like Dropbox), except they keep the entire file. So making a small change to a zip or dmg document and closing it, results in a different version of the entire file, doubling the disk space registered by Google Drive. For example, my 500mb disk image, now takes up 1gb according to Google and triples if I make a tiny change to it. Google Drive auto-deletes versions that are 30 days old but provides no option to disable versioning for a file.

These are the two things that Dropbox has no problem with. It only uploads changes within a file (the blocks or bits) and its versioning system doesn't register as taking up more space.

4. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Google Drive vs Drop Box

Whats your take on these two 'similar' services?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hard to beat Dropbox integration into everything (apps, etc)
    I have both, but haven't really used Google Drive much at all

I love Dropbox though, and it is totally a part of my work flow
    It works as advertised, works really well and just continues to expand into apps

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not keen on many Google things other than Android and the search engine. I use Dropbox. It's fast enough for me.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think I want google claiming ownership or using my stuff. I could be wrong but dropbox doesn't do this.

For google most of their services are geared to creating and generating targeted ads, I prefer not having my files being used in that manner.

I'm content with dropbox and what they offer.