Google Drive and syncing folders on my desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OceanFrog, Apr 15, 2014.

1. OceanFrog macrumors regular

I've just downloaded the Google Drive app for my MBA running Mavericks. I can see the Google Drive folder in finder.

This is probably a simple question, but is there any way to sync individual files/folders to Google Drive while still keeping them on the desktop? The reason I ask is that I have my folders organized in a certain way on my desktop and it'll mess up my workflow if I just dump everything into the Google Drive folder in finder.

Thanks in advance :)

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

No...it's not that configurable.

However, you could put the folders that are on your desktop into the Google Drive folder, then put aliases to those folders on your desktop.

3. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm if this works? I'd prefer to get another expert opinion before I start moving all my files and folders.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... very easy to do with folders. You can either use Terminal to make a symbolic link between the Desktop folder and the GD folder. Or even easier, just use the free app MacDropAny to make the link for you. You will use the app once for each folder to create the symlink, then you won't need the app after that.

I do this with Dropbox and my ~/Documents folder. Documents stays where it always was, but it still gets synced to Dropbox via the symlink.

5. OceanFrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you ... that seems to have worked beautifully