Google Drive has crashed macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jessamca, May 29, 2014.

1. Jessamca macrumors newbie

I had recently installed Google Drive on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but it kept crashing my computer to the point where it would not start.

I deleted Google Drive in Single User Mode using rm -rf /Applications/Google\ Drive.app

I am still getting blue screen or the grey screen with the turning wheel, I suspect from all the forced restarts, but it is also a possibility I made an error.

Sometimes the desktop will load but is completely unresponsive and freezes immediately.

I have tried resetting the pram, smc, repaired the drive in disc utility and reinstalled Snow Leopard from the disc.

Loading in Verbose mode sometimes loads the desktop, or sometimes blue screen. Once it got stuck on the text "internal modem support declares no kernal dependencies"

Any help would be much appreciated! A clean install of osx is my last resort.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

which model macbook pro ?

any reason why you are not running 10.9?

it sounds to me like it may be a disk issue , the disk going bad would show symptoms such as those.

have you tried holding the D key during boot and running diagnostics?

3. Jessamca thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the 13" Macbook Pro 2.53 ghz core 2 duo. So I guess the D key wont work for diagnostics?

Im not sure why I havent updated to 10.9, but I would definitely do that if it was a fix.

I did run disk utility and fsck in single user mode, there was a few volume problems that return every time i force shut down, but i can always repair them successfully.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm with MacModMachine... this kinda sounds like a disk going bad.

Try a safe mode boot and see what that does. That does a disk check and also bypasses any login/startup items.

You should be able to run the Apple Hardware Test by booting to the grey installer DVD that came with your machine.

5. Jessamca thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my computer wont start in safe mode, it stays at blue screen or grey screen with the spinning circle.

And I dont have that secondary disc, only the snow leopard install disc.

Uh oh! Sounds like my options are getting limited. :)

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Luckily a drive will not be expensive for that model , i would look at an SSD somewhere between 240-480gb depending on your needs.

If the hard drive happens to be bad.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like the hard drive has gone south. If you cannot boot from an external drive it will probably needs to be replaced.

Taking it to an apple store may be an option as they'll be able to tell you exactly what failed