Google Drive or MS OneDrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Drewski, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Drewski macrumors regular

Although I'm taking advantage of the generous amount of free storage on both of these, I've been simplifying as much of my digital life as possible, including online storage. So, I'd like to narrow it down to one, buy a TB of space, and be done with it. Each has their own advantages; Google's UI is so easy and desktop-like, especially with the recent interface changes (the "new Google Drive.") Google also allows drag and drop of nested folders which is huge if you like the old multi-level folder arrangement. OneDrive doesn't yet allow that, and although you can create your own trees, the folders have to be populated individually. Also, OneDrive limits individual file size while Google Drive allows up to 5TB :eek: file uploads (Google Docs are maxxed at 50MB or 100MB depending on app). Speed-wise, I noticed a big difference when uploading large numbers of files. Individual big files seem to upload at the same speed (my cable upload speed is a pretty consistent 11-12 Mbps) regardless of file type; I've tried numerous test runs of uploading the same files to both services, and small numbers of big files upload at almost identical speeds. As the file count goes up, however...

34 files (29.0MB): GD - 1:10, OD - 0:29
    57 files (41.8MB): GD - 1:26, OD - 0:36
    94 files (37.7MB): GD - 2:07, OD - 0:27

There were more tests like this, but all continued in the same vein. Not that big of a deal, unless you have massive numbers of files to upload.

And then there is price. Until this month, Google had the upper hand (not considering Amazon Glacier, but that's a different kind of storage). So one TB on Google (as of July 18, 2014) is $9.99/month or about $120/year for the storage and nice interface. MS really made a splash this month with the MS Office package. $9.99/month or $99/year for up to 5TB per household plus Office 365 on up to 5 devices. I'm down to two reasons for keeping Windows/Parallels on my iMac, and Office is one of them. This offer seems huge to me. Assuming of course, MS keeps the price where it is, I'm not sure why to stick with Google, other than the nice interface. And yes, I can use Google Docs for simple stuff, but Office is really the standard. Like many folks, the advantages of Office are too many to give up.

If you've shopped online storage and have other ideas or stuff I've missed, please chime in.

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

I picked up a copy of O365 on Amazon for $60, it's on sale for $60-65 every day. MS announced that more price drops are coming soon. Office on my Macs and Windows VMs, 5TB of storage coming soon.

Office 365 for me. Easy peasy. I use Google for junk email and finding stuff and crap on the internet, which is all it's good for with me.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have Office365, and so I get more space then I need with that. Its decent, and does what you want it too.

I'm not a fan of google, so I usually avoid them if I can.

4. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Almost forgot the 60 minutes free on Skype. Not a huge deal, it would save my family a whopping $1.09/month calling Taiwan. :rolleyes:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but still its a nice to have feature

6. nexus4life, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

nexus4life macrumors regular

A friend of mine linked me to their Office 365 subscription so I have 1TB of space through OD, but I have not used it once and don't plan to. Microsoft simply doesn't make things easy - there's several websites, several logins - anytime you try to find something, it's just a big hassle. Further - Google has much better collaborative features and Microsoft seems to be behind and trying to catch up lately.

Also - though Office is still widely used, Google Drive handles office files perfectly, and they keep updating how well it works.

Attached Files: