Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cindyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
I want to upload from my macbook pro a 1 TB external HD to 1 TB of google drive space. Is this possible and how long will it take?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Totally depends on your upload speed with your ISP, but would probably take days, most likely. Longer if you won't leave it powered on or "awake" 24x7 until it's done.

Also, if your ISP sets usage limits on your service, it may cause you to go over. It would use up double my monthly limit, for example, if I were to attempt that. Something that I'm sure I would probably receive a warning about on my next bill ... yeah, internet where I am isn't the best.

cindyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Thanks, I guess I should do it a section at a time.

----------

If I have a folder with a bunch of voice memos from my iphone, how do I upload those - just drag and drop? Thanks.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Not sure about Voice Memos. I don't use my iPhone for that. However, if you can locate the memo in Finder from within iTunes (in iTunes, right-click on the voice memo, and then click on ""Show in Finder"), and it's on your hard disk somewhere, you should (in theory) be able to drag and drop it from that Finder folder to your Google Drive.

Also, keep in mind, I do not use Google Drive, but the cloud syncing services I do use, and have used, typically store a local copy of the synced folders on your system. So, if you're copying anything on your Macbook Pro over to Google Drive, you will basically end up with two copies of your files on your MBP (the original source, plus the copy in your local Google Drive folder) and a third copy on Google's storage in one of their data centers somewhere.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Uploading 1 TB of files to anywhere from a home internet connection will not take days. It will likely take a months.

What most consumers do not realize is that their home Internet connections have pitifully slow upstream bandwidth compared to their download speed. although your upstream bandwidth differs with the type of Internet service you have, it can be as low as 1.5-3 Mbps even where your downstream bandwidth is 10 times that.

So, lets say you have 3 Mbps upstream, your 1 TB of uploads is about 8,000,000 Mb (Megabits). If you divide that by 3,600 seconds per hour you get 2,222 hours which is 92 days! And, that is the theoretical best even if you can sustain ideal connectivity for 92 days.

So, unless you have an expensive business-class connection that has equal upstream bandwidth (unlikely if at home), you should plan on a looooooong upload period.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
100mbps down, 20mbps upload plans for home available where I live. (DSL, not cable.) 500GB/month cap. Will hit the cap before the 1TB is uploaded, and before the month is over. Not months, but weeks (barely). So I suppose that totally blows everything that I said completely out of the water. Kaboom!

I can break it down a bit more too:

Bandwidth: 20 mbps
Data: 1TB
Compression: 0%
% of Pipe Available: Let's be a little generous here and assume, best case, only 50% of that pipe is available.
Link Efficiency: Approximatly 80% (rarely 100%, if ever.)

Time to transfer data: 12 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes, and 12 seconds, give or take.

Last edited:

cindyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Which cloud storage do you use or recommend? I have a few things in Dropbox but I want to put lots in now.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Which cloud storage do you use or recommend? I have a few things in Dropbox but I want to put lots in now.

I use Google Drive as my primary cloud and have been since it's inception. Reliability and stability is exceptional, I've been very happy. In addition I also enjoy using Dropbox. For both work and personal these two have been the best.

I think, hopefully, at some point Apple will get serious and sort out iCloud so it's better than it is at the present. I also tried Microsoft's cloud and while reliable it didn't offer any advantages. Using Gmail, Google Docs which so many of the businesses do that I collaborate with is a huge advantage. Being readily accessible from my iPhone and Android is also a priceless advantage.

That's my experience :)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I want to upload from my macbook pro a 1 TB external HD to 1 TB of google drive space. Is this possible and how long will it take?

That depends entirely on how fast your internet connection is. Nobody can answer that but you.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

I use Dropbox and Box - I won't consider any cloud service that does offer two-factor authentication. iCloud does (via AppleID 2-factor), but lacks in almost all other areas as a cloud storage service.

----------

What most consumers do not realize is that their home Internet connections have pitifully slow upstream bandwidth compared to their download speed. although your upstream bandwidth differs with the type of Internet service you have, it can be as low as 1.5-3 Mbps even where your downstream bandwidth is 10 times that.

..and just to add for the OP's benefit, if you max out your upload like this for days on end, your download will be severely impacted for the same period.

This is because each packet of data travelling in one direction on your line needs an acknowledgement packet to travel in the other direction. If your upload is maxed then the acks travelling UP are delayed, slowing throughput in the DOWN direction.

cindyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sounds like I should upload sparingly and only a bit at a time, or rent a safe deposit box instead!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sounds like I should upload sparingly and only a bit at a time, or rent a safe deposit box instead!

:)

The way to avoid having a second copy of the data on your machine is to use the folders within Dropbox as your working copy, so just gradually move your work within Dropbox and that will give you the gradual upload, you can also pause the Dropbox syncing and just let it run overnight for instance when it won't impact the general internet experience.

cindyjj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Can I upload directly from my external HD to Dropbox or Google Drive?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Yes, using their respective web interface.

Or an App such as Cloud Commander.

BUT

You have to make sure what you upload via this method doesn't simply re-download as the Cloud service App does its thing...

For instance, I use Box differently to how I use Dropbox. Dropbox syncs its folder as normal. To use Box as an archive I don't run the Box Sync App but upload via Cloud Commander. Hence what I have uploaded to Box doesn't require a copy in the Box Sync Folder or take up any space there.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Will it take up memory in my Mac to do so?

Not if you don't also use the Cloud service app to sync the same information. In Dropbox for instance you can do "Selective Sync" and exclude the folder you want to <just> keep in the cloud, then upload via Cloud Commander or the Dropbox web interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.