Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odoyle81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
So I've noticed this really strange problem with google earth. I've had it installed and running fine for a number of years on my computer (leopard), but maybe a couple months ago, I noticed a google earth dmg will randomly mount on my desktop, appear for a few seconds and then disappear. This happens like maybe once a week.. I have tried desperately to find the file that is mounting in order to delete but I cannot. I also tried uninstalling google earth and then reinstalling. I'm stuck, any advice??

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
It's Google's evil updater. It's simply checking for updates. I really don't like their method. I use to have this for Google Earth, but killed it, but now I get it for Google's Picasa every so often.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
So I've noticed this really strange problem with google earth. I've had it installed and running fine for a number of years on my computer (leopard), but maybe a couple months ago, I noticed a google earth dmg will randomly mount on my desktop, appear for a few seconds and then disappear. This happens like maybe once a week.. I have tried desperately to find the file that is mounting in order to delete but I cannot. I also tried uninstalling google earth and then reinstalling. I'm stuck, any advice??
Huh? What do you mean by "I've had it installed and running ..."? Did you ever copy the app from the mounted .dmg file? Understand that the copy of Google Earth within the .dmg disk image file can run while the .dmg is mounted on your Desktop.

I have never seen Google Earth or any other app spontaneously produce a .dmg file that then disappeared just as quickly. My guess is that you never actually installed the app on your hard drive. Rather, it appears that you have been running it from within its distribution .dmg disk image file.

nofunsir

Suspended
Dec 30, 2009
Reno
Music Manager is doing it now too

This was really creeping me out. It only happens late at night. I'm on my computer, about to turn in, and suddenly: Mount, finder windows open, files move, dismount! No sign of an original .dmg file anywhere! Didn't even have Music Manager running.

What the heck, Google! Quit being so creepy!

odoyle81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
the solution that angelwatt linked to worked for me. Sorry I never posted on here that I resolved it.
Thanks for the tip angelwatt!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Google does have a "no update" version but it's comparatively hard to find on the site. Apparently putting an option in the app itself is too difficult... :rolleyes:

Mind you, Apple now (since OS 10.6, I think) also downloads updates in the background without notifying you. I had one download while tethering on a 500 MB plan, which was a bit of a shock! Fortunately you can change this option once you're aware of it (Sys Prefs > Software Update > Download updates automatically).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.