Google Earth KMZ files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidra, Mar 23, 2013.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

I have entered a number of waypoints/places into Google Earth. I would like to be able to open the KMZ file (which apparently is just a zipped group of kml files. I have actually compressed the KMZ file to a zip file but that doesn't help. I do NOT want to open it in Google Earth; I want to open it in a text editor to copy the lat/longs so I won't have to copy them individually. However, I can't seem to find anything that will open the file except GE. I know it can be done but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've done this shuffle a fair amount.

Two ways around it.

1. Load it in Google earth and save it explicitly as a KML
    2. Rename (do not compress it again) the file XXX.ZIP and extract the KML

B

3. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! #1 worked fine. #2 gave me some significant gibberish. Now I just need to convert the format of the lat/longs. It would really be nice if a commercial marine GPS used Google Earth as an overlay.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Last time I did this it was pretty easy with grep and awk from the command line. Let me know if you need more help.

I figured one of the two would be easier for you. (I usually take that route too, even though I've done #2 on machines where I don't have Google Earth installed.).

B

5. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

I was surprised it saved all the waypoints in decimal degrees no matter how you have the preferences set. It was probably quicker for me to just copy the degrees/decimal minutes format from each point and copy them. I am a fishing guide and I've started using GE because it shows sand bars and creek beds in shallow water that gives a really spectacular advantage when going to places you've never been before. My fantasy would be a GPS unit that tracks you over a GE map as an option. Garmin uses some satellite imagery in their G2 charts but it's not nearly as detailed as GE. Thanks for your help....