Google Earth Not Working = Dying 8600M?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by verdee, Apr 14, 2010.

1. verdee macrumors newbie

To start my computer is a early 2008 Penryn MBP with the 2.4 C2D and a 256mb 8600M. Today I was trying to show something on google earth, but once the app started, I could not control the map, it would just freeze. Once I was able to zoom in, but it would not do anything, it would zoom in on pixelated junk. I tried reinstalling it, but no dice. I thought there may be something wrong with how the data is streaming, but it works fine on my hackintosh and my iphone. This got me thinking about the well-known faulty 8600m.

I have, on rare occasions, had some screwy issues with my display, like some pixelation and difficulty getting the display to work after sleeping, but these have been few and far between. I was curious if all this could be related to the GPU, and if there is anything I can do to test before going to the apple store and complaining how my google earth won't work (I am still covered under applecare). I don't game, so I have nothing of that sort to try out on it. I did download and run cinebench, and it gave me an open GL score of ~9.4fps. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My Penrynbook Pro displayed two symptoms for a dying 8600. Your results may vary:

1. Hold option and go to :apple: > System Profiler. Go down to Graphics/Displays. Look at your PCIe Lane Width. It should say x16. Anything else is not ok.

2. Utilize the Apple Hardware Test. You should get a "VideoController" error if anything is wrong. Atleast I did.

Even if these two things don't bring anything up you may still have a defective card (don't we all?) . Those are just the things I experienced.