Google Earth: On automatic updates and is it worth installing it without them?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doxavita, May 31, 2011.

1. doxavita, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

doxavita macrumors 6502a

Thinking of installing Google Earth for Mac (v.6) in my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro.

If I download the version that automatically updates itself: say the auto update begins and I close my MacBook's display, (putting it to sleep), will that disrupt Google Earth's installation and damage my system somehow?

If I download the version that does NOT update itself automatically. How would I be able to update? (and get the latest version) Is there a way to completely (100%) uninstall the program and then just download the latest version again and reinstall?

I've read of people that simply hate Google Earth's automatic update, considering it a hassle and intrusion of privacy.

So how do you guys cope with Google Earth? Thinking of installing the version that does not update itself as to avoid any technical issues. Could it slow down my system and bandwidth? Thoughts?

2. interrobang macrumors 6502

One option is to block the Google Updater from accessing Google's servers using Little Snitch, if you have it.

When blocked in this way, the updater will keep trying to check, but will give up and do nothing when it can't reach the Internet. You will then have to update manually by downloading and installing new copies of Google Earth (or Chrome, which uses the same updater.)

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have Little Snitch, but I do seem to prefer the manual updating way. So how will I be able to completely get rid of it and reinstall it myself?