Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I'm pretty sure these satellite photos are a few years old, since my neighbors cars and my cars have changed, (my old cars are in two different street views and the license plates on both are visible; scary). Nice images on my iPhone and I was a bit dizzy when I tilted my iPhone and the terrain moved with me...:p

If you download Google Earth for Mac OS X or Windows it tells you when the pictures were taken. (Bottom right corner)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 115

MHerstand

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
That guy looks freaky in the video. If you watch his eyes throughout, he just looks like a creeper. I understand that he had a large part in Google Earth's development, but you'd think they'd get someone a little more polished (or prep him a little better for "video conversation ads").

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
and what about software for navigation ? Sorry what sense does it make so see my location in the whole world but I am not able to navigate from a to b without having an active internet connection for google maps.

I need something to download for the navigation and not a **** what shows me where I am on the planet......wtf !
Without an internet connection this app wont work so it doesn't matter if you use the built in Maps App or the Google Earth App. It wont work without an internet connection.

It's called sarcasm. Apple's official excuse for pulling the other app was that it 'duplicated functionality found in iTunes.' Well this app also duplicates functionality already found on the iPhone, so why is it allowed and the podcaster over wifi not allowed?
It doesn't entirely copy Google Maps because in google maps you cant see terrain and other layers like Wikipeida.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Wow, 5 minutes in that killed my phone.... and the downloading it over Edge. That too :p.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I think it says a lot about Google. They could have held back the iPhone release so the android phone had a feature unavailable on the iPhone. Way to go Google for being a good company.

I don't find that it says much of anything at all. Android is open source meaning they don't get any money for it. Furthermore, they don't make the handset that runs it.

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
A catch?

Hi all.

Be sure to check out the terms of use. It seems that you give Google rights to access all of your data: including voice! I'm not sure what they would be able to gain access to within the iPhone, but it might be that they not being as altruistic as they at first seem.

Adam

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I'm pretty sure these satellite photos are a few years old, since my neighbors cars and my cars have changed, (my old cars are in two different street views and the license plates on both are visible; scary). Nice images on my iPhone and I was a bit dizzy when I tilted my iPhone and the terrain moved with me...:p

If you download Google Earth for Mac OS X or Windows it tells you when the pictures were taken. (Bottom right corner)

In addition, the photos are a bit like a mosaic of different times. The photo of the part of the city that you live in will often be of a an entire different time than a photo from a mile away. A large city could be tens of photos from different days.

All the information is available on the Google Earth page.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
This works really well.
Although it is rather wasted on a small screen. :)

Speaking of: I have the cable that connects iPhone to a TV for movie viewing. Neat.
Is there any way to connect iPhone to TV and it sees everything on the iPhone screen (like they do for Keynotes) like Mail, Calculator, etc.
I'd heart that option.
A lot.

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
in the video it looks like the roads are on the program with yellow lines. but i don't see them, or can't seem to turn them on. am i missing something simple here?

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
This is simply the best app for iphone

period. Great job Google. Sure is amazing to have the world in the pocket.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
for all of the iPod touch folks. I'm assuming you need the internet to look at the maps?

It would be nice to have an app that would self-contain all of the maps in the program itself, rather than having to fetch them off of the internet. Especially since there is times where you can get lost on the road, and there isn't any internet either!

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
So far it's OK but I prefer google maps... this is much slower - seems to take an age just to load the same data. There are also no road overlays making it difficult to locate your position. The terrain option appears nonfunctional (I live on a hill, and it shows as a completely flat area, as does the entire surrounding region - a collection of hills and valleys).

The zooming in and out is quite cool.. but not quite enough the win me over.

sgntscrawn

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
That guy is a zombie, and Google needs to hire a hand model. ;)

Hehe, yeah, where's David Duchovny when you need him? :D

for all of the iPod touch folks. I'm assuming you need the internet to look at the maps?

It would be nice to have an app that would self-contain all of the maps in the program itself, rather than having to fetch them off of the internet. Especially since there is times where you can get lost on the road, and there isn't any internet either!

I'm sure that'd be nice, except that the Google Earth app probably already takes up a fair amount of space, let alone what all those images would take... good luck actually using it to listen to music - there'd be no space left!

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it? But since we're talking about the iPhone, which is missing so many features, that one is one of them as well. It will play music, photos, and video, I believe. But it will not transmit the image for a game that you are playing on the phone. The controls are limited as well. It's really a shame.

Speaking of: I have the cable that connects iPhone to a TV for movie viewing. Neat.
Is there any way to connect iPhone to TV and it sees everything on the iPhone screen (like they do for Keynotes) like Mail, Calculator, etc.
I'd heart that option.
A lot.

sgntscrawn

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
That would make a lot of sense wouldn't it? But since we're talking about the iPhone, which is missing so many features, that one is one of them as well. It will play music, photos, and video, I believe. But it will not transmit the image for a game that you are playing on the phone. The controls are limited as well. It's really a shame.

And considering that practically every single digital camera has that feature, it can't exactly be that hard.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Although it's an excellent port, it needs one hell of a patch, and quick. I was browsing the globe for roughly 20-30 minutes,
and in that time it compeltely crashed out to the home-screen at least 8 times. :eek:

R-Fly

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I've installed this onto my iphone today, it works nice and all, but I don't think I'm going to use it and think I'm going to delete it from my phone. It doesn't offer anything different from the google maps application.

mrcharlie91

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
United States
No point..

I don't see wasting space with this "constantly crash" app on my iPhone.

No point to install besides maps app. Also, quality seems little undone.

Good try though. Give us street view first.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I can see why one would not want to take the space up on their iPhone, but Google Maps and Earth are very different.

For one, it's topographic, more global, and feature rich. (ok.. that's actually three.)

In most cases, these features are not needed. It's almost novelty. However, to say there's not much different than Maps is ridiculous.

kramden88

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
NJ, USA
I love Google Earth but it's really buggy. I've tried to run it a dozen times and it's crashed within seconds so I've given up. I'm not sure the iPhone processor will be able to handle such an app. It probably can but they just need to work out the kinks. Here's hoping for a quick update.

pgflmac

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Great Earth = Outdated Imagery

Google map images are very, very old in many cases. Here in Florida many of the images are prior to the 2004 hurricane season and the data is useless - many, many buildings and other structures are gone. Google Earth is not the only app that suffers from ancient images. GPS Kit is another one. Meanwhile apps that use Microsoft Live Data images is much more current.

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Hi all.

Be sure to check out the terms of use. It seems that you give Google rights to access all of your data: including voice! I'm not sure what they would be able to gain access to within the iPhone, but it might be that they not being as altruistic as they at first seem.

Adam

I also read this and sounds kind of scary that they can use all the information in your phone and its not googles fault or responsibility due to 3rd party blah blah. I un-installed it right away. I might as well say "hey, install cameras in my house and keep an eye on me just in case" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.