Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Anybody else seen this?

sudo installer -pkg "Install Google Earth Pro 7.3.1.4507.pkg" -target /

installer: Package name is Google Earth

installer: Installing at base path /

installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

This does the same thing

sudo installer -pkg ./Install\ Google\ Earth\ Pro\ 7.3.1.4507.pkg -target /

installer: Package name is Google Earth

installer: Installing at base path /

installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Anybody else seen this?
Yes, I did, a few weeks ago when I finally got around to installing GEP on my new iMP. I finally got an install to work, but using the "old fashioned way" and from a non-admin user account as a last-ditch attempt - I couldn't even get the installer to work from the Finder in an admin user account. I never figured out why the sudo attempts failed to install GEP, but it's up and running now on my Mac with zero issues, signed into my account. I was that last attempt away from installing GEP in a El Cap or Sierra VM. :mad: That's all I've got on this, sorry I don't have a better resolution. :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You are sudo-installing to the root of the drive. Would it work if you did the install to the /Applications folder, instead of / ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.