Google Earth

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 57George, May 4, 2016.

1. 57George macrumors newbie

Google Earth will no longer work on my Macbook Pro. I have tried removing and re-installing it but it will not open. Before this started it was working poorly, only allowing me to zoom so far in and no street view. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

A bit of a feeler here - when you offered that you uninstalled GE, did you remove the other support files? GE's corrupted cache files can even take down a system.

Make sure you also delete the files at ~>Library>Caches>Google Earth and at ~>Library>Application Support>Google Earth - then reinstall the app. I've had exactly this issue - removing those two directories fixed it for me every time.

And make sure you snag your free upgrade to GE Pro while you're at it...

3. 57George thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Neither Caches or Application Support had Google Earth files in them. I have taken your advice and downloaded GE Pro but I am being asked for a license key. What do I do? George.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Sorry, got sidetracked as a friend was broadsided and left with a totaled auto. No one hurt, but a bit of car shopping today...

The link to the SN and registration are here: https://support.google.com/earth/answer/3273767?hl=en

Also, I'd done this bit so long ago I'd forgotten about it as I'm not a social network user. The base install includes a few plugins, including two for Facebook and one for the North Plains Telescope, that have been shown to crash GE and GE Pro upon startup. Google hasn't updated the OS X app in a while and the crashing showed up with 10.9 and has continued through El Capitan. I had to get some work done on my rMBP in November, and my SSD was wiped when the repairs were done - I had several "oh, yeah, I remember that little bugger..." moments, but I've kept a log of most of my gotchas. I've no idea why something works with this, and then it doesn't, other than guessing that something's phoning home for the first time in a while (or that something's not picking up on the other end?). That bit written, the little buggers are described here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/sgJZw_c-3do/discussion
    and
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/earth/huVwZSm23No/discussion

It's also just easier to remove the entire Internet Plug-ins folder. And, regarding the caches, keep in mind that there could be some invisible files in those directories - you'll find GE's caches in the Caches>Google>Google Earth folder. Periodically, Chrome freezes on me for no reason sometimes, and just deleting the Application Support>Google>Chrome (or Google Earth Pro) folder fixes this bit; also, look in the system-wide plugins folder (Mac HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins).