Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is very interesting. I would try it if it was in my area.

The futuristic new feature that brings this service in the mobile age is the ability to use the service while you are on the go. According to Google, your Fiber phone number lives in the cloud so you will be able to program the service to ring your mobile phone, tablet, or laptop while you are away from your landline. This way you never miss a call from those most important in your life.

http://www.talkandroid.com/290672-g...Android+-+Android+News,+Rumours,+and+Updates)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Very interesting, although I'm happy with Google Voice and wish they would put some effort into the service and the app. With internet connectivity I don't see the need for a landline at all, and Google Voice holds your number in the cloud and you can direct it anywhere you would like. I'll be curious to see if they plan on folding Google Voice into this, or keep them separate, my money is on the former. I'm very surprised Google hasn't monetized Google Voice yet, but the gravy train won't last forever.

Reactions: jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So it's just another ip voice service like cable has. Not downplaying it, but the use of the word "Fiber" like it's something different is annoying.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think it's branding
i think you could be right. I think this will be part of the Google Fiber packages they hope to sell to cities to replace broadband in those cities. It will be one of those added features.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
And it'll have voice recognition built in. Naturally this will be touted as a benefit to the customer because you'll receive more targeted "consumer offers".

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
i think you could be right. I think this will be part of the Google Fiber packages they hope to sell to cities to replace broadband in those cities. It will be one of those added features.

My understanding is that it will be offered as a part of Project Fi as well. (Project Fi-ber?) and will combine with the mobile services (Project Wi-Fi?) in a hopefully clever way.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
My understanding is that it will be offered as a part of Project Fi as well. (Project Fi-ber?) and will combine with the mobile services (Project Wi-Fi?) in a hopefully clever way.
lol...i like the play on words there :)

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Very interesting, although I'm happy with Google Voice and wish they would put some effort into the service and the app. With internet connectivity I don't see the need for a landline at all, and Google Voice holds your number in the cloud and you can direct it anywhere you would like. I'll be curious to see if they plan on folding Google Voice into this, or keep them separate, my money is on the former. I'm very surprised Google hasn't monetized Google Voice yet, but the gravy train won't last forever.

If someone signs up for Google's Project Fi, they can no longer use Google Voice as it's currently known. You can't even have your Fi number as a forward-to number on Google Voice. I could see a similar thing happening with Fiber Phone, though maybe it'll bring the Google Apps availability to both projects.

I have an Apps account as well as a Gmail account, my Fi service has to be linked to the Gmail account but I can still have a Google Voice account on my Apps account. If I could have my Fi account associated with my Apps account, I would consider dropping Gmail and use the Apps account for everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.