Google Fiber Phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by jamezr, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

This is very interesting. I would try it if it was in my area.

http://www.talkandroid.com/290672-g...Android+-+Android+News,+Rumours,+and+Updates)

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Very interesting, although I'm happy with Google Voice and wish they would put some effort into the service and the app. With internet connectivity I don't see the need for a landline at all, and Google Voice holds your number in the cloud and you can direct it anywhere you would like. I'll be curious to see if they plan on folding Google Voice into this, or keep them separate, my money is on the former. I'm very surprised Google hasn't monetized Google Voice yet, but the gravy train won't last forever.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So it's just another ip voice service like cable has. Not downplaying it, but the use of the word "Fiber" like it's something different is annoying.

4. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

i think you could be right. I think this will be part of the Google Fiber packages they hope to sell to cities to replace broadband in those cities. It will be one of those added features.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

And it'll have voice recognition built in. Naturally this will be touted as a benefit to the customer because you'll receive more targeted "consumer offers".

6. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

My understanding is that it will be offered as a part of Project Fi as well. (Project Fi-ber?) and will combine with the mobile services (Project Wi-Fi?) in a hopefully clever way.

7. jamezr thread starter macrumors G3

jamezr

lol...i like the play on words there :)

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If someone signs up for Google's Project Fi, they can no longer use Google Voice as it's currently known. You can't even have your Fi number as a forward-to number on Google Voice. I could see a similar thing happening with Fiber Phone, though maybe it'll bring the Google Apps availability to both projects.

I have an Apps account as well as a Gmail account, my Fi service has to be linked to the Gmail account but I can still have a Google Voice account on my Apps account. If I could have my Fi account associated with my Apps account, I would consider dropping Gmail and use the Apps account for everything.