Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Not sure if ya'll have seen this yet but good news if your one of the cities!

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

map.png

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Interesting. Note the emphasis in the South - some of the fastest growing cities right now. And a complete lack of activity in the Northeast and Midwest states. Looks like Google has it's eyes on current economic development and growth potential.
There are probably telco unions up there that have all kinds of onerous restrictions on installations must be done by union people etc etc. Lots more red tape and complications.

It's one guess.

Either way, I'm in a suburb that is listed *SQUEEE* crosses fingers.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
There are probably telco unions up there that have all kinds of onerous restrictions on installations must be done by union people etc etc. Lots more red tape and complications.

It's one guess.

I think a better guess would be that Verizon FIOS is already in DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, NYC, Providence, and is working its way into Boston. I'm guessing Google would rather start in markets where they would be the only fiber provider.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

It's one guess.

With the exception of Portland, SLC and Phoenix, all of those cities are part of AT&T's (formerly BellSouth) territory and unionized.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
That map is misleading. It shows Austin as current but when you check it says "coming". Oh well...

Austin is getting it for sure by the end of this year. The rest of the cities are only "potential" candidates.

----------

It's one guess.

This and the fact that most of cabling is underground. Google outlines their checklist, I assume they picked these cities since they are most likely able to fulfill the criteria.

There are three main items on the checklist:
  • We’re asking cities to ensure that we, and other providers, can access and lease existing infrastructure. It would be wasteful and disruptive to put up duplicate utility poles or to dig up streets unnecessarily, when we could use existing poles or conduit.
  • We’re asking cities to provide accurate information about local infrastructure like utility poles, conduit and existing water, gas and electricity lines so we’d know where to efficiently place every foot of fiber.
  • We’re asking cities to make sure they have permit processes suitable for a project of this scale. Anyone building a large fiber network would need to submit thousands of construction permits — and many cities have small permitting offices that might not be prepared for that volume of paperwork. This will help us build as fast as we can and deliver service to residents as soon as possible.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If they pick Portland I can say AT&T owns the fibre around my neighborhood even though Comcast supplies the cable to the house so there's a chance Google could convince AT&T to lease some of their fibre.

Comcast wouldn't like it but hey. In this case ( I disdain Comcast ) it might be a good thing for Google to taker some marketshare away from the future monopoly.

Plus the fibre is underground but it also goes along the telephone lines in neighborhoods. I'm sure Portland would love to have Google.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
They need to come to Boston...

----------

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/

Not bad at all!

Wow that's cool I didn't realize they offered a free plan, 5 Mbps is nothing to shrug off either especially if it's free. But I'd without a doubt go for the 1 Gbps!

I'm not very familiar with fiber infrastructure, but if I recall correctly isn't fiber kind of spotty coverage? What I mean is if one residential street has it, the next street could potentially not have it?

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
does anyone have the tv? how is it?

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/channels/index.html

They seem to have all the main channels. It's nice that is all one plan for $50 in addition to internet ($120 all included). Only $40 more for all the premiums.

You also get a 2TB DVR that can record 8 shows at once, with a Nexus tablet as the remote.

I would imagine the channels are sent uncompressed since 1Gb/s is a pretty large bandwidth.

----------

I am hoping they come to a location that directly competes with other fiber carriers. Unless they already are. I am not too familiar with the area's they are already in.

The expansion into Provo, Utah was them taking over a municipal fiber service iProvo.

----------

Wow that's cool I didn't realize they offered a free plan, 5 Mbps is nothing to shrug off either especially if it's free. But I'd without a doubt go for the 1 Gbps!

I'm not very familiar with fiber infrastructure, but if I recall correctly isn't fiber kind of spotty coverage? What I mean is if one residential street has it, the next street could potentially not have it?

http://www.zayo.com/interactive-map

Thats a pretty good overview of the major fiber infrastructure in the US. For Google Fiber internet you need FTTH (Fiber to the Home). In majority of the US the last mile is coaxial/copper cable.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
70$ a month for 1 gigabit internet? Nice. Especially considering you're really paying 20$ a month for the internet (due to 1TB of Drive space).

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I hope they do indeed decide to come to Charlotte. Someone needs to break the grip Time Warner has on internet service out here. I'd gladly pay $70/mo for those speeds.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
They seem to have all the main channels. It's nice that is all one plan for $50 in addition to internet ($120 all included). Only $40 more for all the premiums.

You also get a 2TB DVR that can record 8 shows at once, with a Nexus tablet as the remote.

I would imagine the channels are sent uncompressed since 1Gb/s is a pretty large bandwidth.

That's close to what I pay charter for their # service.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I think a better guess would be that Verizon FIOS is already in DC, Philly, Pittsburgh, NYC, Providence, and is working its way into Boston. I'm guessing Google would rather start in markets where they would be the only fiber provider.

Maybe they are just being nice and not trying to put Verizon out of business. We all know goolge would crush verizon.

----------

No interest in Canada yet :(

It's no better living in the US no where near fiber or fios. Just ask my 2.80 mb download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.