Google Fiber

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by rendevouspoo, Jul 26, 2012.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Didn't read the terms and conditions but I'm sure there's a catch. Seems like a pretty good deal though - the naysayers will complain about Google owning all of your data, but they already do anyways.

2. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Cool. I thought Apple was the only one trying to kill off cable companies. I guess Google's on board too

Direct TV, Dish, Comcast... dying a slow death

3. ruvil macrumors regular

Yeah sure. No thanks. Now google will know absolutely everything about me.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Welcome to 2012.

Oh, by the way, it's too late & there's no turning back.

The organization you should really be concerned with is far worse than Google... & it's name does not begin with an A or a G.

Time to go back into denial. You'll feel better :)

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Ha.

Until I can get 1000 channels/selectable movie channels for 120 bucks a month from Apple, I think cable companies will be be just fine.

6. dba415 macrumors 6502

You'd rather pay 50 bucks a month to telecom companies who routinely screw customers by engaging in monopolistic price gouging than get Internet for free?

7. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

That $120 goes to bundles full of channels that nobody watches (cable companies are making you pay for 100 channels you don't care about just to get the 5 you actually want) so that $120 is a ripoff. Plus you gotta pay for a dish or a box and a technician to run cable all over your house. Might have been the only way 2 decades ago but in 2012 it's now technologically possible to do what cable companies do using only the Internet. Only thing is the business models and contracts are not in place yet.

Internet = disruptive technology that's been changing media distribution. So far it's changed distribution models for books, movie rentals, video games, and music. Only thing left is TV

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I would like this. Unfortunately, my area never got cable, never mind fiber.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

Only $50?

Lucky bastard.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oh so true. When I did have cable I watch I want to say 5-6 channels but that was getting reduced as some the channels removed shows I watch.

I want to say I would watch USA, discovery, NBC, ABC, CBS and SyFy. Sadly SyFy was falling off the list as NBC killed off the shows I did like on the channel and the new ones well just kind of suck. NBC, ABC and CBS were all over the air but I did have a nice DVR so not to big of a deal.

Now that I cut the cord I feel mostly the loss of USA and Discovery. Not so much the others.

11. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I wouldn't really call it a ripoff compared to what Apple Currently charges on the iTunes store, another challenge would be getting large networks to release new Shows on Apple TV the day it airs on Cable/Over The Air.

And you also realize, that internet comes from companies like Comcast, and a very large amount of ISPs ARE cable companies, when push comes to shove, I could see them throwing bandwith caps on cheaper plans, forcing more people to upgrade.

13. smoledman macrumors 68000

Can't Apple just buy out Comcast for $20 billion?

14. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Same here. All I watch are NBA games, Breaking Bad, and a couple sitcoms that are already on Hulu. But because of how Time Warner does business, I'm also paying for Lifetime, Oxygen, Disney, Nickelodeon, and 30 channels in languages I don't understand.

We're talking TV though, not movie rentals. If Apple can provide the channels people want at a better value than cable companies, they'll win. People pay $100 to Comcast when all they want to watch is HBO. If Apple can let them watch HBO for $30, they'll win. How can they do that? By killing the bundle. Far as capping bandwidth, all that would do is drive customers away.