Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
better question will be what they will say when they use it and then the fanboys here bashing Google for doing it will be saying to defend it
Pretend that apple invented a new and cool way to manage apps of course.

Just look at how many fanboys bashed multitasking because apple said they'd not include multitasking on the iPhone since it kills the battery. Lo and behold when apple changes direction and adds a crippled version of multitasking. fanboys came out of the word work to praise apple's innovation, its like they suddenly invented multitasking instead of finally jumping on the bandwagon after android and webos.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Pretend that apple invented a new and cool way to manage apps of course.

Just look at how many fanboys bashed multitasking because apple said they'd not include multitasking on the iPhone since it kills the battery. Lo and behold when apple changes direction and adds a crippled version of multitasking. fanboys came out of the word work to praise apple's innovation, its like they suddenly invented multitasking instead of finally jumping on the bandwagon after android and webos.

iOS does not really multitask. Pause/resume still is only doing one thing at a time.

Kinda worried about how this is going to work in Mac OS X Lion. Will closing a window pause the process while minimizing a window allow it to continue with it's task?

So, only benefit is can close a window but the state of the process (Safari - tabs with webpages) is maintained? This would be a benefit when want to leave a process with state intact but nothing occurring in the process requires continued use of resources.

Android battery life is noticeably shorter. Sorry. LOL.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Check out this zero-day monitor page by VUPEN security (http://www.vupen.com/english/zerodays/). Quite interesting.

I like how the first item on the list is a remote root (http://www.vupen.com/english/advisories/2011/0394) for the sharing serviced used by Windows Homegroups. 21 days public and unpatched.

If you allow WMP to be accessible via Homegroups during setup in Windows 7, this service (SMB) is accessible over LAN and Internet. Check your firewall settings Windows 7 users.

There is a public proof-of-concept! Block or filter UDP and TCP ports 137, 138, 139 and 445!

How come this isn't making headlines?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Check out this zero-day monitor page by VUPEN security (http://www.vupen.com/english/zerodays/). Quite interesting.

I like how the first item on the list is a remote root (http://www.vupen.com/english/advisories/2011/0394) for the sharing serviced used by Windows Homegroups. 21 days public and unpatched.

If you allow WMP to be accessible via Homegroups during setup in Windows 7, this service (SMB) is accessible over LAN and Internet. Check your firewall settings Windows 7 users.

There is a public proof-of-concept! Block or filter UDP and TCP ports 137, 138, 139 and 445!

How come this isn't making headlines?

lets see first link is to XP which is extended support mode right now. It has not been confirmed to hit Windows 7 or Vista yet. Just confirming on XP leaves something to tell me that the higher OS might of not allowed that trick to work.
2nd of all unlike Apple. MS will admit those things. Chances are it is not as bad as it looks and something that will be patch my guess to either tomorrow or on April 5th (sorry can not remember if patch day is the first or the 2nd Tuesday of the month.)

The high criticle ones of real risk MS is pretty good at getting those fixed and will release something that is off there normal patch Tuesday release. Everything else tends to get rolled into patch Tuesday. If it was not ready on the last one then it gets rolled into the next one.

On top of that read threw it I see it takes a DNS attack which considering how few computers today are NOT sitting behind some type of router very few are at risk. You would need to be running a computer as DMZ host which is a bad idea. Or directly connect which again goes back to almost all computers are behind a router.Little tricky getting past router acting as the hardware firewall.

Even skipping 21 days. 21 lets see what Patch Tuesday has. Which is March 8th. Could be the fix is in patch tuesday. Clearly not high enough to have something release ASAP. MS has shown it will do that for some things.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
This is rated critical. Windows 7 64-bit listed as vulnerable. 21 days. I believe patch Tuesday is every second Tuesday of the month?

SMB file sharing is meant to be accessible across the Internet via port forwarding your firewall. If those ports are forwarded correctly, then the service is exploitable.

If you have Homegroups turned on (on by default), then this service may be exposed given that WMP uses SMB with Homegroups. The last time I hardened a Windows 7 system I remember I had to turn off Homegroups to prevent this service being accessible over LAN (important if connect laptop to other networks). Scan your system with NMAP to see if any of those ports are exposed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.