Google frees Android from code of secrecy - Now really Open Source

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Oct 23, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register.

It's a shame the iPhone cannot be so open, though I fully understand the reasoning. The two products while being similar are very different and have been brought about by companies with very different business models.

This unique(?) openness should prove itself extremely important and impressive in the years to come. Looking forward to see what people come up with.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Viruses.....

....and coincidentally, virus scanners.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

that's really great. i actually got my G1 yesterday and it's fantastic.

the music player is a little ugly, and tunewiki is gonna be pretty cool when it's more mature...

but as a whole the phone feels great!

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wont Google pull any programs that have viruses.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It's even harder to conceal virii in OSS because your code will be open for anyone to inspect it. If it's open, people have access to the original base, can add to it, submit it, and it comes under review or inspection and testing, just like source code to the linux kernel, GIMP, etc., are.

I'm not saying that people can't code a virus in Android's baseline code, but it will be harder to slip that into the base code without people knowing because the entire world would be the Q/A group for it, unlike a set number of people closed source software gets released to (e.g., Windows).

A Challenge: Name a time when a virus was inserted directly into the Linux kernel code base.

BL.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I loves me some El Reg. :)

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I'd like to see some real reviews of the G1 after someone has some serious time with one. I'd also like to see more info on the Freerunner.

One thing that still bothers me, with ALL phones, is they ALL are vulnerable to wardriving. I still don't do any banking or other sensitive access on a mobile phone. Still, it's very cool to see them release code.

One question, if it's open source and anyone can contribute, why aren't they going to let anyone put anything they want on the phone?! I heard they can remotely disable/remove apps like Apple can.

Hmmm.
    :mad:

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Viruses, not virii.

It is unlikely they would release the virus as open source software :). It is also unlikely that they would be stupid enough to insert it into the open source operating system.