Google/Gmail Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkpixie08, Jul 13, 2010.

1. darkpixie08 macrumors member

I seem to be having a hell of a time with all google related things. About 50% of the time I can't get to the google search page and get the error message Safari can’t open the page “http://google.com” because Safari can’t connect to the server. When I am able to get into gmail, I am constantly being disconnected from gchat, like every 5 minutes. When it disconnects, it will try to reconnect, most of the time unsuccessfully. I then get the error message, unable to reach gmail please check your internet connection. This happens no matter what browser I use. However, when I try to connect from my husband's PC (same network), everything is fine. I've tried emptying my safari cache, tried uninstalling and re-installing both safari and firefox, and I am out of ideas. Any ideas about what is going on, and how I might fix this issue. I searched through the google help, and there were similar problems posted (none recently), but no answers on how to solve the issue. This has been going on for about a week now, and it's driving me up a wall.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Try changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8, that seems in some instances to clear up issues with some ISP's resolving correctly.

3. darkpixie08 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. How do I go about changing the DNS?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

System Preferences > Network > (Connection type) > Advanced > DNS > DNS Servers "+"

Attached Files: