Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135813-google_goggles_android.jpg

ReadWriteWeb reports that a Google project manager has confirmed that the company's Google Goggles application currently available only on its Android platform will be coming "soon" to the iPhone. Google Goggles allows mobile users to take pictures of objects and have the content automatically identified for them.
When asked about an iPhone version of the app during the Q&A after his presentation, Nalawadi admitted, "Yes, we will be coming to the iPhone soon."
The report notes that Apple's iPhone OS 4 will be adding new APIs providing developers with full access to still and video camera data, tools that will make it easier for Google and other developers to create tools like Google Goggles and augmented reality applications.

Article Link: Google Goggles Coming 'Soon' to iPhone

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
google is a breath away from ruling the world. I don't like it but I can't help but think some of what they do is amazing.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Apropos of nothing... I was just at the SFMOMA a couple of weeks ago studying that Frida Kahlo painting. Weird to see it showing up on MR!

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Google Goggle Blocker?

Amazing technology. And just think: we're only a few lines of code away from taking a photo of some cute random girl and being able to get her name, home town, and other publicly available data. For example, snap a photo of somebody (girl, guy, anybody) and get their Facebook, Twitter, MySpace accounts, and whatever else.

If that ever became possible, Google would probably face huge pressure to implement some kind of "Google Goggle Blocker" list. Like the telephone no-call list. Otherwise it could create nightmare scenarios with cyber- and real-world stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, psycho ex-wives, and other harassment.

And it's just a small matter of programming. Apple already has face recognition technology built into iPhoto, and I'm sure Google could easily create their own face recognition code (if they haven't already). Google obviously has pattern-matching technology in Google Goggles, and they've crawled hundreds of millions of social networking accounts.

Kind of scary.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Amazing technology. And just think: we're only a few lines of code away from taking a photo of some cute random girl and being able to get her name, home town, and other publicly available data. For example, snap a photo of somebody (girl, guy, anybody) and get their Facebook, Twitter, MySpace accounts, and whatever else.

If that ever became possible, Google would probably face huge pressure to implement some kind of "Google Goggle Blocker" list. Like the telephone no-call list. Otherwise it could create nightmare scenarios with cyber- and real-world stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, psycho ex-wives, and other harassment.

And it's just a small matter of programming. Apple already has face recognition technology built into iPhoto, and I'm sure Google could easily create their own face recognition code (if they haven't already). Google obviously has pattern-matching technology in Google Goggles, and they've crawled hundreds of millions of social networking accounts.

Kind of scary.
They probably have the technology now as we speak but have not figured out a way to make it safe to use for blocking those unwanted visitors when it comes to the stalker theory. I would think it would be a nice thing to use , only if these people you are taking pictures of are already your friends,family . not just random people that you have taken pictures of while out in public

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
oMoby already does this for iphone. The technology is basically a pattern classifier. And if it doesn't land a hit, the picture sent to a group of people, probably in some other country, who actually get paid to identify things

I took a picture of my friend. Since it couldn't identify him, it returned "blue shirt" since that's what he was wearing

Then I took a picture of my middle finger and got a terms of service violation

robcreative

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
I would like to see an app that when you point camera at a leaf or plant, it provides you with the kind of plant you're trying to identify. Would also be good for animals, insects, birds, etc.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I would like to see an app that when you point camera at a leaf or plant, it provides you with the kind of plant you're trying to identify. Would also be good for animals, insects, birds, etc.

That would be amazing. If I had had that in Botany class...

kdarling

macrumors P6

Me too. I needed it this past weekend to help identify poison ivy. Goggles knew enough to display that it was a plant, but said it couldn't do more with plants.

In the end I just said "poison ivy" to my phone and let Google display some images that we matched up against.

Re: Google Goggles:

My wife's a teacher and is constantly showing me books that she needs "another copy of right away".

Goggles works great for that purpose: I snap a picture of the front of the book and a few seconds later I get its name, author, reviews and where to buy it.

It's great being lazy :)

iWonderwhy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010

Kind of scary.

Stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, ex wives etc. already exist without this technology. Twitter accounts, facebook etc, are totally private, the user can set their privacy settings, and allow whom they choose to see it. This technology isn't that smart.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

Nice idea, that would actually not be so bad at all. Interesting to see a logo or add just take its pic and you know everything about it.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, ex wives etc. already exist without this technology. Twitter accounts, facebook etc, are totally private, the user can set their privacy settings, and allow whom they choose to see it. This technology isn't that smart.

What planet do you live on?
Or was that sarcasm?

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008

Kind of scary.

True, however it would require google's bots to crawl through everybody's facebook photos and run facial recognition software on them - processing their default picture wouldn't give them enough data. For any accuracy they'd want to crawl hundreds of clear photos with no sunglasses, hair in the way, etc. Anybody here use the facial recognition in iPhoto? It's pretty crap. Although the technology is there, I seriously doubt it ever happening. Google would also need permission to crawl through private facebook permissions without a granted friend request, which facebook would never allow.

We're safe. For now.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I love Goggles.

Barcodes, QR codes, text, buildings, logo's.... IT has worked pretty flawlessly for me.

I even took a picture of my work phone (SonyEricsson C902) and it identifies it. Good to see this coming to iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.