Google Hacked?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dubbz said:
The address to the actual SoGo site is http://www.google.com.net :rolleyes:
Well, they certainly have top notch search capabilities! :eek: :D I was going to say that I can't see them being allowed to keep this DN for long, but given the power of their engine, they should be able to drive Google out of business before any legal action against them could be settled! :) Typing in "google" as the search term didn't hit a google site until #10, and even that one was a strange one (toolbars.google.com)....

Hehehe...entering Microsoft as the search term also didn't reveal a hit within the Microsoft.com namespace until the eighth hit. Yep, solid gold. Hah... even typing in "search engine" brought up incomprehensible results. :)

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Apparently (according to Valarian) it's a cookie issue (redirects you), so just reset Safari and it should clear up

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Just as a side note (sorry if it's a little off topic), does anyone know how to force my browser to go to Google.com as opposed to always being redirected to Google.com.au? Or does it not matter because Google.com.au is just a front for the original Google.com and they search exactly the same places?

I was just wondering since I imagine the Aussie site has a slight Aussie bias and sometimes I'd like to do a search from the perspective of a different country. :)

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
mad jew said:
Just as a side note (sorry if it's a little off topic), does anyone know how to force my browser to go to Google.com as opposed to always being redirected to Google.com.au? Or does it not matter because Google.com.au is just a front for the original Google.com and they search exactly the same places?

I was just wondering since I imagine the Aussie site has a slight Aussie bias and sometimes I'd like to do a search from the perspective of a different country. :)
On the Mexican Google there is a link on the lower right of the page that says "Google.com in English". That takes me to Google Google :D . I think the searches are the same though, I'm just too lazy to verify this with the proper experiments.

I think you can also use this URL: http://www.google.com/ncr

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
floyde said:
On the Mexican Google there is a link on the lower right of the page that says "Google.com in English".

Oh. :eek:

Why didn't I see the link to the proper Google.com? Oh well, that kind of implies that they are in fact different then.

Tested: yes, they come up with different results. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Google does geographic matching on your machine/router's IP address and redirects you. I just noticed yesterday that Google is returning me a heavy weighting of Canadian sites when I do a general knowledge search -- this seems to be a change over previous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.