Google Hangouts Overseas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macher, Jul 28, 2015.

1. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Anyone use their U.S. Google hangouts # overseas to make and receive calls and texts from U.S,?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you mean use the Hangouts app to make/receive calls and texts (via Google Voice essentially)?

I've done that basically with just a WiFi connection and it works fairly well, depending on the WiFi connection for the most part--the connection needs to be a fairly good one (as in fairly fast and with a good signal).

3. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

Yes we will be in France and want to make and receive calls and texts via Google Hangouts app dialer and text.

I'm wondering if this is a good option since we will be getting SIMS from Orange.

4. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Yes, I've used it to call home to the U.S. from Italy & Japan, works well as long as you have a good internet connection. In Italy the hotel wifi was often poor and so it didn't work great, but it did work. Last week I was in Tokyo & the hotel wifi was very good & I didn't have any issues using it to make Google Voice/hangouts calls.

5. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

There is old info out there about needing a U.S. ISP with a work around because the foreign country will recognize the ISP your on meaning your not in U.S. This is older info like I said.

2015 do you still need a ISP 'hack' in a foreign country or can you just call via Hangouts dialer with no problem?

6. hawon macrumors member

I have used that from at least 10 different countries without any issue.

7. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I work in Qatar and I am able to make calls and send text to my relatives back in the states.

8. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

The first time I used it was last spring in Italy, and it worked fine. I simply connected to the hotel's wifi & made my call using Hangouts. Did the same just last week in Japan.

9. macher thread starter macrumors 6502a

macher

Yes it worked when we were in France the last 3 weeks. However I find you need a pretty solid connection or there are delays and jitter.