Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm mocking the fact that no one would spend $1,000 plus on a Chromebook. There's really nice Chromebooks to be found for a few hundred dollars. I have guided two people in the last year to purchase Chromebooks and they couldn't be happier.

It was a dumb decision of Google to go after the luxury market, as that's owned by Apple. They should have gone for the mid-range market and created a well-rounded product in the $400 - $600 range. This would undercut the Macbook line and give their customers a capable product. Once you establish yourself in the notebook world as a player, THEN you can go after the $1,000 market. Unfortunately, Google is run by people that go outside and juggle in the middle of their workday consistently making poor decisions for their products.

I wouldn't spend a $1000 on a Chromebook either. And my previous post was Stated exactly that, An affordable and practical Chromebook for a student, where it meets basic needs for education and productivity. These $200.00-$300.00 Chromebooks are great starting points and caddy the right tools.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I wouldn't spend a $1000 on a Chromebook either. And my previous post was Stated exactly that, An affordable and practical Chromebook for a student, where it meets basic needs for education and productivity. These $200.00-$300.00 Chromebooks are great starting points and caddy the right tools.
Also depends on the desired amount of privacy for the student and their access to the internet.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I'm surprised these didn't get the support of Steve Troughton Smith on Twitter complaining about how they only needed to do Y and Z to replace his macOS operating system all together...
[doublepost=1488460513][/doublepost]

And yet you get all the Google fans calling them iVerge. I guess they must be doing something right.
Or they could be doing something wrong. I mean they like everything no matter what.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Again, I say that this was not the purpose of the Pixel. It was not meant for the mass market nor has it ever been. It was a developer device and a halo device to show OEMs what Chrome OS was capable of. It obviously wasn't a dumb decision because Samsung, Dell and HP all have mid-high end Chromebooks now.

Also, if you do believe the rumors, Google IS coming out with some sort of computing device priced at ~$700. There's your mass market device.

Again, I stand by my comment. Google didn't design a high-end device only to abandon it a few years later. It was a flop. Manufacturers can create a prototype version of a high-end Chromebook if they wanted to "see what ChromeOS could do".

Google should have gone after the correct market, the mid-range market, if they wanted a product that would last more than a few years. If they had released a well-equipped $700 notebook a few years back, this article wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be able to disagree with each other on the outcome ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.