Google has stepped up its game, AGAIN. Google Goggles.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Dec 7, 2009.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgfz0zPmH4&feature=player_embedded

This thing looks pretty amazing. I think this app alone covers what 30% of dinky iPhone apps try to accomplish all in one. I only wish I had something like this on my iPhone. It would reduce the need for a bunch of Apps I have and simply make my life easier.

They floored everyone with their free nav app and then told us that they'll be bringing it to the iPhone, but now with Goggles there's no mention of the iPhone. This seems like the first radical step google is taking to really differentiate itself from the iPhone and offer something a lot better than what the competition offers.

More and more I feel my love affair with Apple ending as Google becomes more and more attractive. I've stopped using mail.app for Gmail through fluid, stopped using iCal in favor of google calendar, contacts instead of address book... and I'm consistently impressed with what google is doing with Android. I've even started using m.gmail.com on my iPhone instead of mail.app because its so much faster, reliable, and feature packed.

I'm not planning on upgrading my iPhone until this summer when the new one comes out (still rocking the OG first gen). If Google manages to bring out an Android phone that tops the Droid and is offered on AT&T (basically looking for an Andoird phone with a comparable media player to the iPod app), I'm sold.

Google's taking Apple's old philosophy of keeping things simple and easy and really running with it.

Interesting to see where they'll go next.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I love Google. They always have something interesting to release.

But I also love my iPhone, so I don't know if I'm capable of switching to an Android.

3. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Thanks, for the link. That is an interesting app. But of course there will be those that say it's not official until Apple releases it.

4. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

it's not for the iPhone, it's for Android and it's official according to Google

5. fm.produktions macrumors newbie

this is gonna get ported to the iPhone.

Pretty much everything google does has an open API.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

That is not what I meant. For some people, no matter what another company puts out, it is no good unless Apple does it. (That's not me of course:) )

7. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

haha got it. good point.

8. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

I love looking at android threads on the iPhone forum.

*sarcasm*

9. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded on my Droid and I tried taking a picture of a Coke Zero can. Sure enough it was able to find the can in a search. I will have to try it when I am out and about tomorrow on buildings, etc. and let you know how it goes. So far it looks like a cool app.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Looks similar to SnapTell, in certain aspects.

11. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Don't be so sure! So what happened to Google voice?

12. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't Apple put out a press release that stated they're working on bringing Gvoice and skype to all their phones?

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Haven't you always wondered how (or WHY) Google releases all of these things that you don't really pay for but yet you can do all sorts of things with? Gmail searches through your messages to target ads at you. There's no telling what the other Google apps do. Now I use some, but I'm still quite wary of when the other shoe will drop. Follow the money!

14. iPhoneStore.com macrumors newbie

I believe there is something very similar on the horizon for the iPhone as well - actually pretty excited to see how well it works in comparison to the Droid

15. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Google Confurms Goggles for the iPhone
    http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/google-confirms-goggles-for-iphone-656489

I don't think people understand what Google is doing. They couldn't really care less about Android. Google is in it for ad revenues. The only reason Android even exists is because they were afraid that Microsoft would try to block them out of the mobile search business. Whatever service they provide it will be on the iPhone if Apple allows it. iPhone has a far larger user base and they want as many eyes as possible in Google Search. Again, Google makes no money on Android itself.

Stop thinking of this as Microsoft vs Apple business tactics.

That being said I'll never trust Google with contacts, email, docs, & calendar but I'm quite fine with Maps and products like these.

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

^ Because Google's ability to deduce things about you is much more dangerous than Google knowing exactly where you are at all times? :confused::eek:

It's part of their corporate culture. It breeds creativity. :D

I also love the Austrian accent of the first engineer in the video. Made me chuckle, and reminded me of my German class.

17. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the link! That's good news.

I see your point though... while other apps charge us for doing the same thing, google offers it for free but we pay them with our privacy. It's kind of unsettling to think about it that way.