google hijacking Safari 7.1 search

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lotones, Sep 26, 2014.

1. lotones macrumors regular

The first few days or so with Safari 7.1 everything was fine with DuckDuckGo as my search preference. Then a few days ago all my searches started coming up on encrypted google pages. I've tried other the search engine preferences, and neither Bing nor Yahoo work either. The address/search bar says the proper search engine, i.e., the one selected in the preference pane, but all results return on an encrypted google page.

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you installed any Safari extensions that may have taken over the search settings? Check your extensions list to be sure nothing new is there.

Also, try running this adware scanner to make sure you have inadvertently installed adware that hijacked your searches.

3. lotones thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!

It was the Keysearch extension I was using (allows you to type "wiki iPod" or "amazon iPod" to go directly to that page). Apparently it only uses google.

After upgrading to Safari 7.1 my extensions were disabled for a couple days until I noticed. My search engine problems started when I re-enabled them.

Thanks again for the response Weaselboy.