Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that its annual Google I/O developers conference is set to take place on Wednesday, May 11, and Thursday, May 12, about a month ahead of when we're expecting Apple to hold the annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

Google-Logo-Feature-Slack.jpg

Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai shared the news this afternoon, and he said the event will be "live from Shoreline Amphitheatre," with the content available online. The wording of his tweet was confusing, but Google has clarified that this will be an online-only event as it has been for the past two years.

A "limited audience" will be at the event, but that will consist of Googlers, with press and other attendees expected to tune in online.

With COVID cases dropping in California and mask mandates lifting, it's possible Google could have chosen to invite some people to attend in person, but the company has opted not to do so, perhaps because Google I/O typically sees attendees from around the globe.

Google's decision to hold an online-only event may give us some insight into Apple's plans. Apple has not announced the dates for the Worldwide Developers Conference, nor has the company said whether this year's event will have an in-person element. Apple has been cautious throughout the global health crisis, so with Google going online only for I/O, we are likely to see Apple opt for an online event as well.

Apple last year announced the dates for the 2021 Worldwide Developers Conference on March 30, so we may not have too long to wait to find out what Apple has in store for WWDC 2022.

Article Link: Google I/O to Take Place in May, Will Once Again Be Online

Last edited:

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
WWDC will most likely be digital as well. But I think (hope) the live events return in the fall!
I’m pretty dubious about them going back to live events… ever? The streaming ones give them so much more control over making everything go perfect and I think they’ll have a hard time letting go of that.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I’m pretty dubious about them going back to live events… ever? The streaming ones give them so much more control over making everything go perfect and I think they’ll have a hard time letting go of that.
The digital events are definitely more polished, but they miss the energy that comes from the audience reaction. Can you imagine the difference if the iPhone was first announced in a digital event vs a live event?

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
The digital events are so much better than the live ones, I hope they don’t ever go back now.

The quality and transitions are better, and it seems strange if they really did go back to live events.

Realityck

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Google today announced that its annual Google I/O developers conference is set to take place on Wednesday, May 11 and Thursday May 12, about a month ahead of when we're expecting Apple to hold the annual Worldwide Developers Conference.
So Google had it June 28 last year, this year apparently they want to the dev event well before Apple WWDC to avoid comparisons. Likely Google Pixel 6a, Android 13.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Blaine

ian87w

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
WWDC will most likely be digital as well. But I think (hope) the live events return in the fall!
I don't think live keynotes will return. Pre-recorded keynotes give more control for the company. No potential technical issues, no setting up a huge space for a large amount of youtubers/bloggers, no taking the times of the executives to do a talk, no drama. With every announcements being quite predictable cadence anyway, I don't really see anybody wanting to be bothered with live events anymore.

Reactions: Blaine

ian87w

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
More like borefest. The only developer conference normal people watch is WWDC.
LOL, but I do agree. Did anybody even remember Google I/O last year? :D People only watch Google I/O for the Pixel announcement.

I doubt anybody even remembers what other stuff Google was talking about in their Google I/O for the last few years. Because there's actually nothing much going on an Android front. What's the tent pole on Android 12? Color themes. The OS is so mature, and add on that uptake is not as fast (there are only few Android handsets shipping with Android 12, with many released this year are actually still shipping with Android 11), Google announcing Android 13 would have almost no impact as nobody would experience it except for few Pixel users. Majority of people would only see OneUI or MiUI/colorOS.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
The digital events are so much better than the live ones, I hope they don’t ever go back now.

The quality and transitions are better, and it seems strange if they really did go back to live events.
Yes. And as for the Apple Events, I hope to never see a live one again. The sight of all those whooping fanboi developers cheering on the most mundane of announcements made me want to chuck.

• Haha
Reactions: nvmls and winxmac

sudo-sandwich

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2021
Sundar needs to deliver a product that can execute against the Galaxy and iPhone, and the Pixel seems to be falling behind relevant features to the competition.
Agreed, also the Pixel wasn't supported like people expected. Was meant to be like Google's version of the iPhone.

Also, users here like to rag on Tim for being bland, but Sundar tops that. He never sets top-down direction or even says something meaningful. Must be the most risk-averse big tech CEO.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Sundar needs to deliver a product that can execute against the Galaxy and iPhone, and the Pixel seems to be falling behind relevant features to the competition.
I don’t know man, I had my choice of all 3 of those phones (test drove the 13 Pro for nearly a month) and I chose the 6 Pro. Couldn’t be more satisfied with it. There’s nothing about the Galaxy or iPhone line that I wish I had over this phone. It’s AI smarts are unmatched overall and other than the crap Samsung 5G modem (I don’t use 5G, but still), I’ve been very pleased

That being said, I don’t know when someone will be able to touch the feature-set and battery life of an iPhone running on all cylinders. It truly is optimized to the hilt.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I like live events better. Hearing the unbiased grumbling over the 1000$ stand was worth it.
Sadly, this is why companies like Apple and Google will be remiss to go back to live events. Especially if you're Apple, who keeps shafting the developer community. It's like an abusive relationship. I'd love to see an in-person event where developers genuinely give Apple a piece of their mind.

Reactions: huge_apple_fangirl

nvmls

macrumors 68000
Mar 31, 2011
Yes. And as for the Apple Events, I hope to never see a live one again. The sight of all those whooping fanboi developers cheering on the most mundane of announcements made me want to chuck.
Right? And they call the fake mindless clapping "energy" ?

Still prefer live though, but the cringe is strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.