Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I was looking up some images this morning.

But if I click on one in list I have go to site option but the view image option which was there last week is now no longer there.

I guess it is to stop users downloading the image as easily.

I only have my Mac at work will try my iMac later but I guess be same.
I'm using safari as browser.

Same with chrome so must be a google change.

I dont download images this way but I have used the view image to get image address to send to friends, etc

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I was looking up some images this morning.

But if I click on one in list I have go to site option but the view image option which was there last week is now no longer there.

I guess it is to stop users downloading the image as easily.

I only have my Mac at work will try my iMac later but I guess be same.
I'm using safari as browser.

Same with chrome so must be a google change.

I dont download images this way but I have used the view image to get image address to send to friends, etc
This was intentionally removed by Google in an effort to curb copyright infringement. You may still right click on the image I view I separately, however.

More info here: https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I do understand the copyright and have to say agree with protection.

I sometime need direct a friend to something to show what I'm after etc.

thanks for link :)

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
This is an annoying change. It won't do anything stop copyright infringement. It just makes the user experience more annoying. I really dislike the removal of the search by image link. It didn't take long to realize dragging to the search box still works. It's just an annoying extra step.

Duckduckgo needs to really improve their image search function. Knock Google off their high horse.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
if in safari you alt click and "open image in new tab"
it actually downloads it to downloads then opens it in preview!

so it has done the opposite of what google wanted!
now it DOES download the image to the machine!

well done google that worked well to stop image downloads lol

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
This is an annoying change. It won't do anything stop copyright infringement. It just makes the user experience more annoying....
In regards to UI, I’d say making the experience more cumbersome and annoying WILL curb this. People are lazy, and making the process less intuitive means fewer folks will figure it out.

Damn free services making my life more difficult by adding 2 seconds to my workflow. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.