Google in trouble over sponsored ads

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cosmichobo, Apr 3, 2012.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good.

Sponsored ads get in the way of what I am looking for.

Sure, Google says they need them for revenue, but I really don't give a ****.

:D

3. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

I think what annoys me more, because I at least know to expect paid ads at the top of a search result, is when you search for specific words, and Google either alters those words, or emit them, giving you results that just don't match what you were searching for...

But for someone like my parents, these ads are so misleading...

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:eek:

Perhaps you should turn "Safe Search" on. ;)

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

No, I think he meant his parents weren't quite so internet savvy. It's a common symptom. My dad thinks Google is the internet. I'll talk to him and suggest he go to a website whatever.com, and wonder what takes him so long to get there. Turns out, he enters every single URL into Google, then sifts through the results, and ads. He'll even click on an entirely different website from what he's looking for.

6. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Exactly...

It's almost as annoying as when you click on a Google search result, which appears to be fruitful, but is actually a dummy search engine, with all "sponsored" ads...

(Actually, no, that is more annoying, as at least Google do (in tiny print) tell you which results are sponsored ads...)