Google iPhone Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Spaceboy88, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Spaceboy88 macrumors member

Spaceboy88

What happened to those native apps that Google supposedly had "ready for launch" once the App store opened. Is the Google Search app the only thing they plan on releasing?

I am anxiously checking every day to see if there is a native Google Calendar and Google Reader app released.

2. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

Get an Android instead

jk

But seriously though, Google probably will never released them now, because of their own phone

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I wouldn't agree - Street View for the Maps application is coming in the iPhone 2.2 firmware. It's just a matter of time IMO.

Patience is a virtue ;)

4. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

The Android is probably the focus of most of their mobile effort now, and that's probably understandable.

However, I feel that Google aren't going to ignore the iPhone, as it has and always will have a large user base. It might just take a little bit longer for new things to arise. :)

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

They might be waiting for PUSH before they release a Gtalk client.

6. awesomator macrumors regular

there waiting for the android to not sell and then fall back on the iphone

7. kleinias macrumors regular

It's not like I have any real knowledge of this, but from what I've read, the whole idea behind Android is that Google wants to ensure that their applications (Maps, Search, Youtube, etc) are used on as many mobile devices as possible (hence the free Android platform).

From what I've seen, this seems to follow. Google isn't putting out their own hardware device, just the platform to ensure that they still accrue advertising revenue. Google would probably love to have as many of their applications on the iPhone as possible. It stands to reason that you might see tighter integration of those applications on an Android device, but those same applications will quickly work themselves (Apple permitting) onto the iPhone. Again, this is what it seems to me is happening, but I really only know what I read so time will tell.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You could fool me that Google isn't putting out their own phone. Half the people here keep calling it "the Android" even though it's software, a bunch of 0s and 1s.

The G1 is the phone, Android is the OS. People aren't buying and OS X, they're buying an iPhone.

(You'll never guess **proofreading** what I do for a living)

9. TechJunky macrumors regular

Maybe they've just decided to stick with their web apps, which work great IMO. They have both Reader & Calendar, as well as many others (Translate is cool).

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

the android is already sold out on pre orders.

11. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

Lots of people out there with (for some strange reason) have a apple phobia or hate and hence won't get a iPhone.

Still compitition can only encourage apple to innovate.

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Emphasis mine.

Really? I would have never guessed... :rolleyes:

13. RRutter macrumors 6502

They're all nice. I love Google's iPhone Apps.

Translate is my favorite. I love doing random stuff. :D

Yeah. They're not gona beat iPhone sales.

It sure is. And it's hard to do. Be patient I mean..

I hate web apps. The reg. apps are soo much faster than web apps. Web apps, FTL.