Google is now making a router, the OnHub

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just after I've bought a new Airport Extreme ... typical :)

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I can't seem to determine if I should replace my Airports for this device. Especially since my AC APE is in the basement (the other is in my loft).

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Interesting but I'm not going to dive in head first on their very first version, especially without any reviews or real world usage. Will certainly be keeping an eye on it though.

4. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Any benefit to this vs Airport Extreme? My Airport Extreme works brilliantly.

5. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Google's services are very often superior to their competitors but I wouldn't immediately say the same for their hardware.

7. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Google reminds me of a kid in a candy store that can't make up its mind and has had too much caffeine. They dump products/services regardless of user base and sometimes without warning.

I wouldn't trust Google for the time of day.

8. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

What do you use for web searches?

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Who needs 'web searches' when you have a tin foil hat ? ;)

J/k

10. critter13 macrumors 6502

Hopefully this puts some pressure on apple, this router seems pretty impressive. I would love the ability to prioritize speeds on my AE

11. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I used to use Airport Extreme and Airport Express routers, but I switched to Netgear a year or so back, and the experience has been very similar. My personal experience is that high end routers. which the OnHub also is, all perform pretty well. My main Netgear R7000 needed a reboot once a week or so initially, which was quite annoying. But a firmware update that came not long after fixed that issue and it has been smooth sailing ever since. With routers it seems that you get what you pay for. I don't need a new router, but if I did, this is something I would seriously consider.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I wonder if this is a way to collect information about browsing habits. Not sure if there is a legal issue, but they do traffic in information and now every single iota of your information is flowing through their router. Interesting.

13. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Nice looking router. It has no internal storage and only on USB port. That means no buy for me. I have a Time Capsule with 2TB of storage. I need my storage!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You better post that on google+ :p

On a serious note, does it scan your outgoing content to enhance your browsing interactions with targeted ads, i.e., reads your web traffic to sell your info to advertisers?

15. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

That's my concern as well. Is it doing statefull packet inspection to determine web traffic so it can target adds and do data analytics.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

looks like the amazon echo.

For me personally I have uverse and it is a pain in the ass to change routers with them.

17. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Haha I just went through the lovely experience on setting up one at my house a few weeks ago. Took forever for me to figure out how to get plex media server to work outside my network. Have to use port forwarding on the modem itself even when the damn thing is in their strange version of bridged mode. Plex media server has been the only thing that I've had to do that for so far, but meh way too much reading about that nvg589 gateway.

18. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm definitely interested as my Airport Express is flakey at times

19. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

fortunately I live in a small enough space I do not need an extender or anything else.

20. ozaz macrumors 65816

To those of you praising AirPort Extreme, are you all on the latest one (6th gen)?

I've been using the 5th gen AirPort Extreme for a number of years, and whilst it's really easy to use and very stable, I've never been impressed with its range. My 12 year old Linksys router has better range. Was there a big improvement in range from 5th to 6th gen?

I've been planning to upgrade my router in the coming weeks. Now wondering whether to go to 6th gen AirPort Extreme, wait and see what happens with this Google one, or get something different.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Are you talking about the tall one with AC? If so, the range is alright. 2.4Ghz travels better than 5 (clearly). It is like a catch 22, I have areas in my house where the signal is weaker, but then again I can get signal in a lot of my yard.

22. ozaz macrumors 65816

6th gen is the tall one with AC. I have the 5th gen (last gen of the flat one). 2.4 GHz range on it is much lower than my very old Linksys (which I don't think was particularly pricey when originally purchased).

23. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

At this point we are still using them because the compatibility with our Apple gear is higher (with my last non-Apple router I had to reset like once a week, cause our Mac's randomly wouldn't connect). I would like to try out the Almond+ router though (along with the onHub).

EDIT: I have noticed that the APE doesn't play well with MS Connected Standby (AKA Instant-Go/On) and low power wifi mode.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I had the almond (gave it to my parents). It really is great. Easy to set up, touch screen, and gets the job done.