Google kills iPhone formated iGoogle page?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dusty59, Jan 18, 2009.

1. dusty59 macrumors newbie

Anyone using iGoogle regularly may notice: as of a couple of days ago, iPhones are being force redirected to Google's mobile phone formatted page- which is very lame; will not show many of the page gadgets that function perfectly well with our iPhones.

How ever this decision was made, it really needs to be reversed.

2. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Are you talking about the igoogle iphone page that had a simplified version of igoogle on it?

3. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

At the bottom of the "mobile igoogle" page, there is a link that says "classic". You can click that and get to the non-mobile version just fine.

4. sipart macrumors newbie

But you will still find certain feeds won't work including Google Mail!! And if you have tabs in igoogle they won't work either. Seems Google have messed with anything coming from mobile Safari.

Only solution is available to jailbroken iphones/touches with SBSettings (from Cydia) installed.

Download User Agent Faker from Cydia (switch for SBSettings) and switch it on and Google thinks you are browsing from Firefox. After that all my igoogle feeds work perfectly, and tabs work again.

Cheers

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I tend not to use the GMail component inside iGoogle. It is not nearly as full-feaured as www.gmail.com, anyway. I see your point, though. Not being able to access the other tabs must be a pain for those who use iGoogle on the iPhone regularly.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That's true. I have wideget feeds of Google Mobile blog and GMail blog on my iGoogle, but these aren't showing up on my iGoogle for my iPhone. I just found out you could load your igoogle page about 2 days ago. Did it used to be good?

7. dusty59 thread starter macrumors newbie

Classic page

The page tabs will not function, and many gadgets on the "Classic" page will not work; worked fine on previous iPhone/iGoogle pages.

8. dusty59 thread starter macrumors newbie

igoogle iphone page

Yes.. if you browse to http://www.google.com/ig/i from computer, you can still reach the site. Trying to reach it from iPhone is redirected to http://www.google.com/m/ig.
    You can see the difference this way- a very stripped down version.

As I respond below to a comment, the "classic" page is available, but lacks function. You are stuck on whichever "tab" you last had open on computer- tabs will not work.

9. wintvelt macrumors newbie

Disappointed

There is a lengthy thread over at Google's Support Forum. (here)
    With lots of formerly happy and now disgruntled iGoogle for iPhone users.
    And a lame respons from a Paul from Google.
    :(:(

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That's a pretty lengthy number of upset customers. I went on there and left a comment too.