Google Latitude availability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by legaleye3000, Jun 26, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Any new news on when Google Latitude will be available? I know you can look at your friends now with 3.0 using iGoogle, but what about FULL use? Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My dad uses this on his Blackberry and wonders why this isn't built into Google Maps on the iPhone like it is on his phone.

3. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

I haven't heard anything on the app since it was first annouced months ago. It'll be nice when it finally comes out. I wish I could give you a better answer than that.

4. koopa35 macrumors 6502

will it update our locations automatically? if not what will be the real use of the app? everywhere i go id have to say i want my friends to see i was here.. so lets open the app and update my location. if it does work that way its useless.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i thought in its current form, latitude for the iphone is only web based so i dont think it can update your location automatically.

the latitude site says iphone and ipod touch are "coming soon". if its a standalone app, then it wont be able to run in the background and automatically update your location. i could see google integrating push notifications into a standalone app that notifies you when your friends update their location though.

i guess the only way that automatic location updates would be possible is if latitude were integrated into maps and then apple made maps run in the background.

6. koopa35 macrumors 6502

true but i doubt it. this will be useless on iphone same as loopt. my cousin uses latitude on blackberry and i see him on the map somewhere diff every time i look at map. this is a cool thing . apple needs to step up

7. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

background auto updating would seriously rape your battery.

8. koopa35 macrumors 6502

others phones have it. my cousins blackberry does it. im sure it would kill battery life. but isnt these apps supposed to be live or not?

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm not so much speaking to you, but I'm sick of people (Apple) telling me how or how I can't use my iPhone. I have a brain. I know if you leave an app on continuously, it will drain the battery. This is no different than some of you would play games on your iPhone all day. I think we all get it.

As for GL, Google has been saying it has been "coming soon" for a while now. Has there been a falling-out between Apple and Google. Before, the iPhone was getting Google's goods even before Android. Now, over the past few months, the iPhone hasn't been getting anything from Google (except for the new iGoogle webpage). Maybe Apple has thought of a better solution and has asked Google to hold off in releasing it. Maybe it'll come in a firmware update like Streetview did and it'll be integrated into the Maps apps instead of the Google Mobile App.

10. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Actually, since other apps will now use the data from MAPS I'm pretty sure maps does indeed run in the background like mail and ipod can. It has to if other apps will now use map data (watch WWDC keynote again if you don't know what I'm talking about).

That being said, Latitude may very well be added in a firmware update soon. I'm optimistic at least ;)

11. koopa35 macrumors 6502

no accesss to my mac at the moment. but what apps will use data from maps?

12. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

They didn't give any examples, just said that map data will be available to 3rd party apps now and explained it a little bit.

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

In the meantime, the loopt app is one possible workaround (also works on phones other than the iPhone, but still only phones).