Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
And Apple doesn't? Typical.

----------

And Apple doesn't spy on you? Classic!

Does this mean Google has employees monitoring my internet usage giggling all the while? I guess I need to buy more apple products, then. Silly. Its all so silly, these justifications.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Does this mean Google has employees monitoring my internet usage giggling all the while? I guess I need to buy more apple products, then. Silly. Its all so silly, these justifications.

Do you believe that Apple doesn't spy on you at all? Proof?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And Apple doesn't? Typical.

----------

And Apple doesn't spy on you? Classic!

Why would Apple spy on you? Whereas Google's sole source of revenue is intelligently serving up ads based on your interests, Apple makes most of their money off of hardware they sell and stuff purchased from their online store. They don't do much targeted advertising, and they don't sell info on you the way Google does.

Furthermore, it's not a conspiracy theory or something that Google spies on you and their users. Google exploits bugs in browsers specifically to track you - there's news on it and they've been sued over it.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
So how is this any better or any worse then Jump Desktop I've been using for years? That authenticates through my Google account. Just curious as it does have its quarkes every so often. Wondering if this may be better?

Surprised Apple doesn't do this natively with screen sharing built into OS X. Would be awesome on iOS. Or at least have the ability to remotely reboot via iPhone if needed for a server.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Do you believe that Apple doesn't spy on you at all? Proof?

The proof is it would be all over the news if they did, which they don't, so it hasn't happened. Every little thing that puts the slightest dent in Apple's image as the best tech company in the world (that is how they're viewed whether its true or not - their brand is the most valued in the world) ends up on the front page news.

Bendgate, a manufacturing defect that impacted 1 out of 1 M iPhone 6+s, for example. That wouldn't be anywhere in the news at all if it happened with a Samsung (actually, the S5 has a tendency for its screen to shatter in your pants. I've seen it happened on two separate coworkers - so far more prevalent, and yet precisely zero news articles on it).

If you want to make accusations like this, you really should have some evidence. You need to prove something has happened - it'd be retarded for us to have to prove something hasn't happened. A lot of us here are pretty tech savvy and would be capable of noticing the network traffic that would be generated by our own Apple devices spying on us.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
WHOAAAA!

I already don't trust Google that much, so they expect me to use this, where they can essentially see my computer's contents? Hell no. I'm not going to be a total gSheep...

This sounds like a good and useful concept in theory, but with it being made by Google, no way. I guarantee that if Apple had this feature, people would be all over it, including myself.

Also, what is up with the screenshot using a PC? This is MACRumors, right?

Once you take that Apple out of your ass, you will find that it's the screenshot Google uploaded. Oh, and maybe because PC's are actually useful?

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Yet another remote desktop app. I don't get it; I've been using VNC for years without problems. And it doesn't require me to install a "Google web app" or anything else third-party to make it work, just the stock VNC daemon that's existed since Leopard.

Last edited:

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
This is brilliant, everything at our office is Google hosted, and all our accounts are associated with Google. I personally use Apple products with the exception of my workstation which is W8.1 - but I am constantly remote accessing it from home, in the field, holiday. And I have constantly been paying for fixed IP or having to check the current IP for the two WAN ports to gain access, I also need user names and passwords for my user accounts and another account. Plus I have to enable RDP on every windows machine, and open a new custom port and program the router to pass them all through (since each PC has to have a different port of the single WAN IP is to connect directly to the right PC).

Now I can use the Google account on each PC which already has Chrome and the app launcher installed and simply choose that account from my iPad or other remote computer. So easy and reliable, by passing all that other crap.

I know there are thirdparty programs that do this but you either have to pay for each license, or put up with adds.

And as for spying, who cares nothing to hide here.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
As my youngest child says

"No thank you"

Do not need another google product accessing my data

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
What advantages does this have over say... VNC... which I can use without Google having their hand in it?

----------

As my youngest child says

"No thank you"

Do not need another google product accessing my data

I feel the same way. Already use VNC, no compelling reason for me to change.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
What did Google do to you guys? Everyone else in the comments are scared of Google it looks like. Well I took it for a good test drive and plan to keep this on my computer and maybe use it every now and then. Sure Google reads things your personal **** to sell you ads. But come on I used it and I'm not dead.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
What did Google do to you guys? Everyone else in the comments are scared of Google it looks like. Well I took it for a good test drive and plan to keep this on my computer and maybe use it every now and then. Sure Google reads things your personal **** to sell you ads. But come on I used it and I'm not dead.

They put effort probably worth more than the GDP of a small country into researching ways to show me ads... that I block anyway :D

This thing is useless though. There's already VNC.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
The fact that a Chrome Webstore App allows someone to reach into and control my computer through only a browser is a bit scary. That is not an App I want installed.
There's already a whole bunch of iPhone apps to remotely control your Mac. How is this any different?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yet another remote desktop app. I don't get it; I've been using VNC for years without problems. And it doesn't require me to install a "Google web app" or anything else third-party to make it work, just the stock VNC daemon that's existed since Leopard.

The problem is the multiplicity of VNC apps for iOS of varying costs and quality. The last one I tried not only required running a server app on the Mac, it did not perform very well. Apple should offer a screen sharing app for iOS but for some reason has never seen the need. Apple left the door open for Google and others to fill the gap.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I just hate that in 2015, companies are still advocating people to access their pictures and work documents with VNC and not through a file manager.

I think this is exactly why Apple doesn't offer remote desktop as a "feature". They don't like it. They'd rather you use iCloud to keep your data in sync and access that data via apps that are designed for the device being used, not try to fit your OS X desktop on your iPhone.

There are many free VNC viewers for iOS on the App Store and all Macs support remote access through Screen Sharing. I'm not sure why some people here are complaining about Apple not offering these features. So you have to download a third party VNC app. Big deal.

----------

And as for spying, who cares nothing to hide here.

And this attitude is precisely why we've gone over the cliff.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
The problem is the multiplicity of VNC apps for iOS of varying costs and quality. The last one I tried not only required running a server app on the Mac, it did not perform very well. Apple should offer a screen sharing app for iOS but for some reason has never seen the need. Apple left the door open for Google and others to fill the gap.

Yeah, Apple should have included a VNC client. There are a lot of bad clients out there. A very good and free one I've found is MochaVNC Lite. Works with standard VNC hosts and has no ads or other annoyances (full version just has extra features that aren't really needed).

----------

The fact that a Chrome Webstore App allows someone to reach into and control my computer through only a browser is a bit scary. That is not an App I want installed.

FYI, the Google Hangouts plugin already does this. There's screen sharing in Hangouts. It's actually very useful for that purpose. If only you didn't have to deal with Google Plus to use it...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
This was specifically why I bought a MacBook and an iPad at the same time in 2011. Not only was this functionally awol, it has still not reported for duty. Hardly makes any sense in these days of 128GB iPhones and "desktop class" 64-bit A8 processors.

Worse yet is that besides BTMM not existing between iOS and Osx, BTMM has become very glitchy since the recent Yosemite updates that I have gone back to the glitchy but better team viewer.

LOL, this was specifically why I haven’t bought an iPad to go with my Mac. Not only was this functionally awol, it has still not reported for duty. Hardly makes any sense in these days of 128GB iPhones and "desktop class" 64-bit A8 processors.

Worse yet is that besides BTMM not existing between iOS and Osx, BTMM has become very glitchy since the recent Yosemite updates that I have gone back to the glitchy but better team viewer.

I had to repeat most of your post as it echoes my sentiments perfectly. Loads of other apps do it, Parallels access I believe is another. A native solution though, I mean where the hell is it?

----------

The proof is it would be all over the news if they did, which they don't, so it hasn't happened. Every little thing that puts the slightest dent in Apple's image as the best tech company in the world (that is how they're viewed whether its true or not - their brand is the most valued in the world) ends up on the front page news.

Bendgate, a manufacturing defect that impacted 1 out of 1 M iPhone 6+s, for example. That wouldn't be anywhere in the news at all if it happened with a Samsung (actually, the S5 has a tendency for its screen to shatter in your pants. I've seen it happened on two separate coworkers - so far more prevalent, and yet precisely zero news articles on it).

If you want to make accusations like this, you really should have some evidence. You need to prove something has happened - it'd be retarded for us to have to prove something hasn't happened. A lot of us here are pretty tech savvy and would be capable of noticing the network traffic that would be generated by our own Apple devices spying on us.

Depends what you mean by spying. (I’m sure there are other examples), but remember iPhoneLocationTrackingGate? Except in this case you’re Ok with it right?
Because it’s Apple? Or for some other reason.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yet another remote desktop app. I don't get it; I've been using VNC for years without problems...

... that you know of.

VNC has either no or poor security. Use VNC, and who knows who's been watching or even controlling your Mac when you're not looking.

Maybe this Chrome Remote Desktop protocol is more secure?

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
If you're already using Chrome, Google theoretically already sees what you're doing. I think the novel you're writing via free public wifi at Starbucks cafe is safe, though.

Lol. Google provides Starbucks its internet.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
They put effort probably worth more than the GDP of a small country into researching ways to show me ads... that I block anyway :D

If you block the ads - why do you care?

Further - if you didn't block ads - wouldn't it be better to see ads you're interested in or have some connection with vs random ads that have no relevancy?

Personally, if I am going to see ads, I prefer they are targeted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.