Google Launches Intelligent Messaging App 'Allo'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google has launched Allo, its new intelligent messaging app. Allo combines now-standard messaging features like stickers, changing font sizes and marked-up photos with Google Assistant, an intelligent chat AI that brings Google's services to your conversations, and Smart Reply.

Google Assistant comes in two forms. The first form is a one-on-one chat in which you can request information from Google's services, similar to Google Now. Users can find out sports scores, the weather, search for restaurants, check travel time or flight status, and more.

The second form is within your conversations. Google Assistant can be brought into chats by tagging the service in a message line and issuing a command. For example, a user can type "@google show me local burrito places" and Google Assistant will show you local burrito places. Users can also bring in other forms of information, like Google Search, Images and YouTube results. However, Google points out that Google Assistant is in "preview edition" and isn't complete. To help improve Assistant, users can submit real-time feedback with conversations.

Allo also comes with a feature called Smart Reply. The app can learn your texting habits and suggest quick replies for more basic communication. Allo can, for instance, learn whether you're more prone to using "lol" or "haha," or whether you like to say "sup?" or "hey how's it going." Once it figures out your reply patterns, it can suggest basic responses. Smart Reply can also adjust to how you respond to certain people. As BuzzFeed notes, it can change its suggestions based on whether you're talking to your wife or boss.

Google stores the chat data on its servers, but has also extended its Incognito private mode to Allo. Incognito mode comes with end-to-end encryption and self-destructing chats. Users can set time limits for their messages, setting them to self-destruct after 10 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute, an hour, a day, or longer (via The Verge).

Allo is only available for iPhones and Android phones and, like WhatsApp, uses a phone number for registration. The app is currently rolling out and propagating through Apple's App Store services. Allo was first announced in May, at Google's annual I/O event alongside Android Nougat, Android Wear 2.0, and Duo.

Allo is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Launches Intelligent Messaging App 'Allo'

2. pseudomichael macrumors newbie

pseudomichael

3. zenteno86 macrumors newbie

zenteno86

As always, when it comes to android/google, super original.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

And in typical Google fashion, I'm willing to bet the app will be better on iOS than Android.

Also, this looks much cleaner than that mess Apple calls iMessage.

5. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Google stores the chat data on its servers. This is very shortly going to ignite outrage among the MacRumors faithful……..(Who do have the option not to use it).

6. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

When your Android buddies have the APK and downloaded Allo already but you have iOS and have to wait for it to go live on the App Store

[​IMG]

7. Wawajey macrumors member

Well I like iMessage and did google just drop a mic after stealing snap chats ideas

8. freepomme Suspended

This is revolutionary. We can put "iMessage" away now

9. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

It was Instagram that stole their ideas.

Snapchat can't hold a candle to Google's AI (or Apple's, for that matter).

10. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

No thanks

11. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

The only advantage of iMessage is privacy however that might not be 100% true anyway.. the app looks much nicer than iMessage, might definitely give it a try!

12. 1041958 Suspended

Allo, Duo, Spaces, Hangouts and Messenger. Oh, and messaging in YouTube.

Come on, Google, you can do better. Just a few more and you can claim to have 10 overlapping communication tools.

13. Ballis macrumors 6502a

14. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

So, Hangouts is superseded by this, or simply joined by it? Oh, and there probably won't be a standalone Mac app, because Google is obsessed with us using Chrome apps so it can track our usage patterns. Ugh. Just track me in the standalone app, because I know you're going to anyway.

15. MacBAir macrumors member

MacBAir

Lol iMessage is actually a fantastic service that people actually use. Better privacy and encryption, SMS integration and an actual relevant userbase means that this new Google service is DOA and will never be as relevant, useful and valuable as iMessage.

OTOH, for cross platform communications, Facebook (whatsapp, Messenger) guarantees that Google will release nothing more than another failure, just like all of their ideas, products and apps from the last 7 to 8 years.

You can shove down people's throats, but even hangouts, with its 1 billion+ installations, is a total turd and no one cares, besides the same people that would use G+. And no one cares about those people, too.

16. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Google's problem is that they're forever launching something new.

Today it's Allo, yesterday it was Duo, last week it was Hangouts...

There's no point in me trying this because a) no one else I know will have it and b) they'll release another messaging app in a few months and then discontinue Allo a few months after that.

17. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

18. Loco Emperor macrumors regular

Google storing my data? Nah bruh I'm good.

19. pika2000 macrumors 601

Google wants to mine more data, and now they can get data from non-Google account users. I mean one should ask why incognito mode is not the default mode.

20. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of iMessage and believe it's original architecture and purpose has been implemented very well. However the last update, with iOS 10, made it IMHO into too much clutter with a clear focus on teens. Which is fine, I do understand they are clear target group but maybe they shouldn't forget about other users who want simply what you've described in the first sentence.

Another thing is cross-platform communication where there is no clear winner - good for a market but usually results into using multiple apps. I wish iMessage was released for Android and Windows Mobile and you would be able to turn off certain gimmicks.

That would be really cool! Complete agree on Hangouts and G+.

21. Uobio macrumors newbie

Uobio

Google knows what photos you take, where are you in every moment, what sites you browse, what you buy online.....
    Now they can know what you talk

22. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

It is not in French App store. If you could, just please indicate as well whether it is just US or somewhere else that would me nice, Macrumors

23. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I know why the hell is it taking this long for it to pop up on the App Store?

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Two things I like Apple to do (but probably never will) is to merge iMessage and FaceTime into one App and release it on Android, believe me, plenty of people on Android would move away from Google's crap (except of course android itself/GMaps/GSearch) and other messaging Apps.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If your being sarcastic or snarky when you say 'Original', Google is moving forward with this new application and now their new Phone is set to debut on October 4th.