Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google announced on Monday that it has released YouTube Kids [Direct Link] on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. The new app provides children and families with a kid-friendly portal to discover and explore videos about anything they can possibly imagine. The family-focused content is appropriate for children and broken down into four categories: Shows, Music, Learning and Explore.

YouTube-Kids-iPad.jpeg
YouTube Kids allows children to discover new facts about dinosaurs from National Geographic Kids, learn about technology from Reading Rainbow, watch Thomas the Tank Engine leave the world of Sodor and more. Families and children can also watch video series on YouTube channels such as DreamWorks TV, Jim Henson TV, Mother Goose Club and Talking Tom and Friends.

Google offers a number of parental controls to ensure that families can fine-tune their viewing experience:
Timer: Let the app be the bad guy with a built-in timer that lets you limit kids' screen time. The app alerts your child when the session is over, so you don't have to.
Sound settings: Sometimes you need a little peace and quiet! You have an option to turn off background music and sound effects, so your kids can keep watching while you catch a breather.
Search settings: If you'd rather limit your children to just the pre-selected videos available on the home screen, you can turn off search.
Product feedback: Our goal is to improve YouTube Kids all the time, so we've included a space for you to give us your feedback.
YouTube Kids is free for iPhone and iPad on the App Store, and is also available for Android. The app is Google's first step towards offering an improved YouTube experience for children and families, providing parents with the comfort of knowing they can hand off their iPad to their children and know that only appropriate content can be viewed.

Article Link: Google Launches 'YouTube Kids' for iPhone and iPad

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Do we want google corrupting our children before they are old enough to know better?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nice. Figured it was coming no matter what people think about Google they have been very good at having their apps on lot of platforms. Of course that is their business model.

Now if we could only get Apple to have a Guest/Kids Mode on the iPad!

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Yet another of those tech things that if used correctly can be helpful in good parents opening the eyes of naturally curious children.
AND
In the wrong hands yet another way to give us permission to check out and outsource parental interaction to a vampid snooping screen.

----------

Now if we could only get Apple to have a Guest/Kids Mode on the iPad!

Have you tried out Guided Access? While not perfect it does serve to help out a lot in that way. I do wish I could just set each app as being open, kid freindly or private (requiring a password each time) that would go a long way to the shortcomg of not having multiple users.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
How about YouTube for adults: without the comments section?

Also, if YouTube can figure out videos without sound, why not support sound without video (especially for mobile), said every parent with a teenager on a shared data plan.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
US only?
At least, not available in the UK.

Edit: Yep, I've read the source blog post, US only for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't see your eyes open either. Open them up and you'll see.

No. Don't give us vague conspiracy talk. Tell us exactly how Google is corrupting young minds by giving them a kids specific Youtube app that plays host to shows such as Sesame Street and Thomas And Friends.

It's no more sinister than PBS.

edit: Okay, that's strange. I type in the word "Sesame Street", and it parses it as a URL link. Curious. O_0

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
How about YouTube for adults: without the comments section?

Also, if YouTube can figure out videos without sound, why not support sound without video (especially for mobile)

There are loads of app for this. I don't know why anyone would use YouTube's own app? Ads, non-playable content. All gone with something third-party.
Something like Tubex you can play audio without loading the video.

Why do you need it without the comments section? If you are an adult surely you can just avoid reading the comments...?

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
No. Don't give us vague conspiracy talk. Tell us exactly how Google is corrupting young minds by giving them a kids specific Youtube app that plays host to shows such as Sesame Street and Thomas And Friends.

edit: Okay, that's strange. I type in the word "Sesame Street", and it parses it as a URL link. Curious. O_0

Giving you exact details would require cogent reasoning. :)

I got the same thing in the Samsung battery thread. I mentioned Panasonic and saw the link when someone replied to my post. Okaaaaaay. I just went back to reference that post and now the link is gone. Curiouser.

It's either proof of half-life, or doubting conspiracies is not in our best interest.;)

Edit: Look at the post between ours. Curiousest.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
There are loads of app for this. I don't know why anyone would use YouTube's own app? Ads, non-playable content. All gone with something third-party.
Something like Tubex you can play audio without loading the video.

Wow, that's great, do your teenagers use those apps? Because mine don't.

Why do you need it without the comments section? If you are an adult surely you can just avoid reading the comments..?

You think YT's comment section is for adults? It is possibly the most immature place on the internet outside of the realm of 4chan, etc.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Giving you exact details would require cogent reasoning. :)

You taking a post here seriously and not just instantly having a go at it unfairly would require cogent thinking skills :)

If I had any children and they had an iPad I'd make sure the parental controls on it required my OK for any apps to the installed on it. So apps like this could not be downloaded until the children were old enough to understand the truth behind companies like google.

And the exact details is targeted advertising amongst other things. You think google apps are advertising free? Of cause not, advertising is what google do best. I'd rather not have children be forced to watch advertising before the youtube videos and in other parts of the app. This just one of many reasons.

----------

They better not show the comment section.

Content here might not be suitable for children also.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA

PBS is public at least. It's better to compare it to Nickelodeon, not that TV very good either due to its advertising.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You taking a post here seriously and not just instantly having a go at it unfairly would require cogent thinking skills :)

If I had any children and they had an iPad I'd make sure the parental controls on it required my OK for any apps to the installed on it. So apps like this could not be downloaded until the children were old enough to understand the truth behind companies like google.

And the exact details is targeted advertising amongst other things. You think google apps are advertising free? Of cause not, advertising is what google do best. I'd rather not have children be forced to watch advertising before the youtube videos and in other parts of the app. This just one of many reasons.

I don't know if you are angry or not, but your post lacks clarity. I have no idea what you're trying to say. A string of non sequiturs doesn't make the most compelling argument. It just reads like irrational paranoia.

I get that you don't like Google, but the way you express it really makes it hard for people to understand the point you're trying to make. Breathe. It's okay.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
Wow, that's great, do your teenagers use those apps? Because mine don't.
I'm not sure I understand..? Is there some double meaning be hide "use"?
As I said, they're much more attractive to use then due to not having to watch ads and other features such as background play.[/QUOTE]

You think YT's comment section is for adults?

I mean, if you are an adult you can choose to read the comments or not.
Additionally, in third party apps I feel the comment section is less prominent. (In Tubex for example, you have to click to reveal them.

It is possibly the most immature place on the internet outside of the realm of 4chan, etc.

Or macrumors..? -
Breathe. It's okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.