Google "Legacy mode" in safari

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Piece of Cake, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Piece of Cake, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

Piece of Cake macrumors newbie

Hello!

My iMac running OS X 10.7.4 went in for service on august 26 and I got it back today (august 29). The issue was that the iMac wouldn't go to sleep automatically after a period of inactivity. The service guy reinstalled the OS (not a clean install, all files were left untouched). But my iTunes was reset to 10.6 and safari was reset to 5.1.6.

My problem now is that google doesn't look like normal. I googled the issue and all I got was that some IE11-users on windows 8.1 were getting the same problem and they called it "google legacy mode". Also if you click on the image thumbnails in image search, you don't get the usual preview, you go directly to the site where the image is located.
    I upgraded safari to 5.1.7 but the problem didn't go away.

I don't know if this is caused by the reinstall of the OS or if it's the same for old safari versions. Google works properly in firefox on the same computer.

Does anyone have a clue how to get the normal google back?

Thank you

I attached a screenshot of how it looks.

EDIT: Now it seems that more people are getting the same problem, and not just in safari on mac. Safari on windows and opera have the same problem. So then it has nothing to do with the reinstall.

Attached Files:

2. BsdGuru macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. I have multiple MACs and the problem only occurred on my Safari 5.1.10 system.

Changing the user agent to one of my other systems that worked ok fixed the problem. So Google is doing something on purpose with Safari 5.1.

Just change the Version to 6.0.2 and it magically changes

3. Piece of Cake thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you. Unless somebody knows if there is some setting that fixes this I guess the only thing to do is wait and see if google eventually will change it back.

4. BsdGuru macrumors newbie

Just another attempt to get people to use Chrome. I hate chrome. I'll buy a new mac before I use Chrome.

5. BsdGuru macrumors newbie

Follow up

I've been running this system now with a bogus "Safari 6.0.2" version, and everything in Google seems to work fine. Maps, images, search results. So there probably isn't a very good reason to disrupt millions of people who are still using Snow Leopard. Certainly nothing that their army of engineers couldn't figure out if they wanted to. Some of the new street view stuff is a bit choppy, but its pretty choppy on a real 6.0 browser also.