Google logo not Retina optimised - Intentional?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmanto02, Jan 20, 2013.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I noticed a while ago that the Google logo on google.com is still not optimised for retina displays. Now I know that it is a time consuming process re-creating web sites however I still feel that Google is doing this intentionally to bug us Apple users as there are no other retina displays out there.

Does this sound crazy or do you agree?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think it sounds crazy. :p

I know Google is always concerned with minimizing bandwidth. That could be the reason. Or they just haven't made it a high priority and haven't gotten to it yet. It's not like it's hurting anything.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could care less - I have no problems with companies that choose not to optimize their graphics for the retina displays.

Basically there's more important things to get riled up on, retina images is not one of them

4. bill-p macrumors 68000

I think it sounds crazy.

Google themselves have a "retina display" in the Nexus 10. So they'd be doing themselves a disservice.

5. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Really? I didn't know that. I don't keep up with android products.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Yeah those Googlers change their home page everyday. The Disrespect! :rolleyes:

7. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I don't think so...I mean, didn't they optimize Chrome for retina?

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

For about a hundred years, the Google Mobile site was not Retina.

9. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

10. leman macrumors 604

Google sells a device with the 'most retina' display out there (Nexus 10), so I don't think your hypothesis makes that much sense. I guess they simply didn't get around to do this or didn't think it was necessary. IMHO, they should move to SVG graphics for the logo as soon as possible.

That said, if my job application gets accepted by Google, I'd be sure to ask around :p

11. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

Off topic, but what is the origin of this phrase? I use this sometimes as well, but if you think about it, it makes no sense.

12. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Probably mean't to say, ' I couldn't care less '. In other words, I don't care.

13. el-John-o macrumors 65816

+1

Believe it or not I read an exegetical-of-sorts paper written on that very phrase. The origin of the phrase is "I couldn't care less", which somehow evolved into "I could care less".

There are a lot of mis-heard and slightly-but-importantly changed phrases in the english language! It's interesting to read up on it sometimes.

14. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

Yes, I know that's what it means, but why do people say it? I hear people use both "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less", just wondering how the "n't" got dropped, when without it, it really has the opposite meaning.

15. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Speech changes over time as people observe and mis-represent things. Someone heard "I couldn't care less" but repeated "I could care less". That's all. Ever play the 'telephone' game? People don't think as critically about language when it's a figure of speech, since many people people don't know their original meaning (for example, did you know 'She's wrapped around his finger' was a falconing term that had something to do with having the small leather restraints around the falconers fingers?) So, unlike you, they don't think about the meanings of the figures of speech, they just repeat them as they've heard them, assuming a particular meaning. Other words and phrases people do think critically about the meaning of, but not figures of speech.

16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

"I could care less" is a weird recent Americanism. You won't hear it anywhere else. "I couldn't care less" makes sense. The alternative just shows up how thoughtful you are.

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It makes sense, until you realise that the logo is cached.

Of course every company wants to minimise resource usage, but such a minor thing, next to, youtube, maps, streetview, 3D maps, image search, image search, image search, and youtube, and...

18. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Actually according to that paper I read and a couple of other sources touching on that and some other idioms, it originated in Britain in the 1940's. In fact, there was a novel written in the 40's by a british author who uses the phrase a couple times in his books. It became popular in the U.S. around 1960. The first time it appears in U.S. originated print was the late 60's.

19. Ploki macrumors 68020

wouldn't minimising bandwidth mean "lets go vector graphics"?

also the Logo in the google search on the side is in fact retina

20. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

They've been on the forefront of minimizing code and that get's cached as well. I've heard they lose a lot of money on bandwidth cost.

From what I've been reading, many web developers are using double sized images instead of vectors to get retina quality images. Probably not the long term solution but it seems pretty common.

If you read my original though, I believe the real reason is they just haven't prioritized it yet.

22. Ploki macrumors 68020

Yeah I know, the same as apples @2... It seems kinda silly if you ask me, why just not go vector all the way? 90% of these are first created in vector form anyway.