Google loses bid for 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

That's upsetting. Google would do a more adequate job.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Google was crazy to go that route. Even they couldn't expect to start a wireless phone service from the ground up and then throw a phone on it. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint control pretty much all of that here. Better for Google to develop their phone just like Apple did and hitch on to one of those carriers. There is a TON of infrastructure in telecom for anybody to do a startup. Those 4 companies I just mentioned have HUGE coverage gaps across the nation.

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I suspect there's an element of Google talking this one up so potential competitors pay more. I didn't think Google stood a chance.

4. martin1000 macrumors regular

Why do I feel that if Google really wanted it, they would have been willing to pay much more. They've got huge cash reserves.

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Do they really want to commit to that kind of undertaking though? There's a whole lot of infrastructure on top of the license.

6. email68 macrumors regular

Google just put their bid in so they could alter the rules a little bit.

They wanted to make the 'C' band of frequencies open access to those channels.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9899829-7.html?tag=cd.blog

7. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You don't really lose if you're not out to win something in this sense. It had a goal, but that was to meet a threshold of the bidding, not getting a slice of the airwave pie.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This has nothing to do with 3G. It is just for the area of the UHF spectrum being vacated by the ability to broadcast TV is more compressed frequencies with less overlap by using digital technology. Many companies were bidding for different uses, many are thinking of using it for 4G or other internet services.

TEG

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

google wasn't in it to win, they were only trying to ensure that it would be open access.