Google Mailboxes suddenly appeared

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Cave Man, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

So, I'm sitting here working on a text document when suddenly two new Google mailboxes show up in Mail (see purple boxes in attached pic). Next thing I know, more than 9000 emails are downloading. What the hell is going on here?

Attached Files:

2. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

Now it's shown up on my Mac at work. What the hell is going on? How can email boxes just show up? I had to disable the account in System Preferences before it downloaded all 9000 emails again.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just so I understand... you had a Gmail/Google account already and what is new is the All Mail folder there? Is this a business account where you have a IT department that can change Gmail server settings? If it is, it is likely someone went into gmail.com and in settings in the labels tab checked the box to show All Mail in IMAP. That would cause the entire All Mail folder to show up and download all messages.

This was not the preferred setting before, but now with Mavs having All Mail on it preferred. Just let it download and leave Mail app running as this takes quite some time to reindex everything.