Google Main Page

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Arn1499, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Arn1499 macrumors member

Is it just me or did Google make their main page (google.com) search bar and the buttons really big? It shows up bigger than normal on my mac and on my wife's winxp laptop.

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Yup it did for me too on both my Macs. I hate it!

3. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Yes -- I thought I screwed up my font size in my browser. But alas, no -- it was Google.

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

yep. it bugs me.

Attached Files:

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I noticed. I hit cmd+0 in Firefox several times thinking I had zoomed in. It's fine to me. It's not like there's a lot else going on on their home page.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

7. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

9. memco macrumors 6502

I thought it was a FF thing, but once I was on Safari I saw it was an actual change to the page. It struck me as interesting, but that lasted 5 seconds, as long as it still searches for things I type into the "little" box, I'm all good.

10. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Yep that would be my guess. Larger darker text would provide more contrast, which is better for all sorts of folks.

Its different and kinda annoying (imo), but hey google is trying to make it easy for everyone to use it. Props to google.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Dear Google, I'd like a choice in the matter.
    Screen shot 2009-09-11 at 12.50.55 PM.png

12. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Interestingly, Google uses HTML5 as their doctype which is still in working draft status as per the W3C, although draft 9 was recently updated just this month. I thought that using it was odd for such a major site, so for kicks I ran it through the W3C validator, just the search page, no search result listing. I saw 39 errors, heh. While true the validator reported it wasn't basically up to date, it's pretty interesting this top level Google page performs so badly. Many of the mistakes were invalid attributes, for example. Stuff developers can easily look up and resolve. The CSS 2.1 they use also had one error too, preventing validation.

FYI - aint a big deal or whatever. Just thought it interesting. As to the style changes, I agree with everyone else. Ugh.

-jim

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think before it was 46 errors. They know there's errors as well as how to fix them. Their focus is on the total byte size of the page. I bet they use the HTML5 DOCTYPE because it's the shortest one, but I was thinking they didn't have a DOCTYPE before at all.